Starting my FOWLR 125 and have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meinporsche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my tank home and setup where i want it...the tank came with lights and a canister filter. i have looked all over the internet and havent really found any great guides to really even get me started...some of the questions i have is along with sea salt mix what other chemicals should i get to start up with? also, how long should i let the tank cycle before adding the live rock? when do i add a thermometer and what temp do i set it for? when should i add a uv sterilizer?? when do i add the power heads and how many gph should i have? i am a pretty big rookie at all of this and i have 1000 questions but if i could get a good link i am more than willing to read...everyone i ask gives me different answers for the same questions...thanks for the help...

You actually cycle with the live rock. Put in the rock and sand and then fill with saltwater. The die-off from the rock will cycle your tank. Th only way to know is to get a test kit(api reef master kit is very good choice) and check your parameters(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate) you will see ammonia first,then nitrite, then nitrate. Get 2 heaters that combined will have enough power to heat the tank(set them at around 80 degreesF). I say two because if one fails you have a backup. Have the powerheads in the tank while it's cycling. They help move the water around. Aim for 10x the tank volume turnover.

One thing I see you didn't mention is a protein skimmer, if you have live rock, a skimmer is a must. Help remove stuff called doc-dissolved organic compounds(waste that turns to nitrate). This is one piece of equipment that you will not want to go cheap on. And get the biggest one you can afford. Octopus and cpr are great brands.

Back
Top Bottom