starting over again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well it has been a while since i posted on here but i have a 125gal with like 60-70lbs of LR and i have had about 7 fish over the course of 3 years. Sad to say but they all died off and i didnt replace them. So needless to say i ended up with the original fish that i started with. A spiny puffer,well died about a two weeks ago. I left the tank up and running and went to the LFS today to get some fish. My wife wanted me to get some damsels again so i thought what the heck i will get like 10 or so and go from there. By the way i had good luck with them before. Well i got 7 blue devils and was going to get a couple others to break up the color when out of no where i see three of the biggest damsels i have ever layed eyes on. Some lady brought them into the LFS because they were getting to big for here tank. There was a domino a all yellow and a one that is yellow on top with like gray on the bottom but has bright blue on his bottom fins. Not sure what kind those two are but they are all like 3-4 inches long and like 2 inches tall HUGE!!! So i got them and im watching them swim around as a wright this! So anyway just thought i would let you guys know i gave them a new life. Wish me luck for in the future if i add some more fish!!

Good luck, you may want to watch your water parameters, adding that many fish may have a drastic effect on the beneficial bacteria. It could possibly crash the tank. I will say, it might be hard to get all those damsels out and they may become very agressive to eachother and any new additions, but I would say your tank is maxed.

I agree with roka64. That is a lot of fish to add at one time. Good luck.

I also agree that is alot of fish to add at one time. Good luck getting them out of your tank when you have to get them out. Most likely when you start to add good SW fish to your tank the damsels will attack them and be real aggressive to the other fish. Hope all goes well.

LOL! After saying that, the post under this is the damsel on the rampage!

I was thinking of adding something that could really defend it's self well like a broomtail wrasse or a grouper. i would think they could defend or eat the little devils if need be:)
I agree it was a lot to add all at one time but i dont think the tank is at it's max by any means. A couple back to back water changes will settle it down just fine i think.

agree it was a lot to add all at one time but i dont think the tank is at it's max by any means.
A new tank should be stocked to it's capacity slowly over the course of 6-12 months after the cycle. As Roka said, stocking to quickly can cause the nitrifying bacteria to be overwhelmed (as well as agression issues, etc). That will cause a crash, and ultimately necessitate starting all over again-again!.

Wow....a lot of damsels. I wish I had known I would have gladly sent you my little nasties!! I would recomend doing several water changes a month until your tank can get caught back up to the bioload you just added! Even if it has been up and running for 3 years without any livestock it isn't used to the ammonia that is going to be produced by that many fish!

Back
Top Bottom