Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you added rock or even re aqua scaped the rock you have? Any disruption to the natural environment can cause a mini cycle even simply clean your glass

Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I cleaned my glass before my water change like I always do...

Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think cleaning your glass can cause a mini cycle bc if that were the case id be having problems... my tank has been up for 3-4 months tops as you know (my 29G reef) and I still have a bit of diatoms on my sand bed.. even with my conch and sand sifting star.. just ride it out.. mine keep coming and going... if they're really bad(and an eye sore).. then just siphon it out other than that.. a conch would help too lol
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might not think so but do some research and you will see how little of a disturbance can cause a mini cycle
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
I don't think cleaning your glass can cause a mini cycle bc if that were the case id be having problems... my tank has been up for 3-4 months tops as you know (my 29G reef) and I still have a bit of diatoms on my sand bed.. even with my conch and sand sifting star.. just ride it out.. mine keep coming and going... if they're really bad(and an eye sore).. then just siphon it out other than that.. a conch would help too lol
Thanks Dan, yea I didn't do anything drastic lately that IMO would cause a mini cycle. Guess I'll just ride it out. How big do conchs get and are they reef safe?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovaRockz
You might not think so but do some research and you will see how little of a disturbance can cause a mini cycle
Well maybe post some links? I dont see how doing maintenance like cleaning the glass would cause a spike in anything...? Otherwise there would be a warning label on MagFloats
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

All my parameters in my tank are 0 (ammo, nitrite and nitrate) and I'm constantly scrubbing diatoms and whatnot off my glass AND I have a cyano problem n I never have mini cycle..

Conchs are reef safe, I have one.. although I haven't seen him in a few days. He likes to bury himself lol not sure on size.. I know they can get to a decent size but not positive on actual numbers
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol just google what would cause a mini cycle there is 99999999999 different things that would not saying that particular one pertains to you but playing the guessing game takes you but so far if you are not aware of some of the things that could have resulted in your problem... But hey it's your issue I guess follow the advice you think best pertains to your issue
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never said I didn't believe you... I appreciate the help, I just didn't know if you have any specifics that all... Thanks I'll look into it
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Starting to feel a failing grade in FOWLR 101... Tanks been up since July. Current livestock:

2 mocha clowns
1 six line
1 anthias
1 algae blenny
1 tiger goby
1 clown goby
CUC, long spine, emerald crab

I had a diatom bloom at the end if the cycle. What how when why is on my sand? More diatoms, cyano, dirt lol? Params are butter, 10% weekly PWC, I use RODI from a 5 stage from BRS. Do I need a bigger CUC, more flow, less of "X" and more of "Y"? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??
When you water change have u siphoned the sand?

Tags
eel, fowlr, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com