Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Supa Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: S.A. Texas
Posts: 322
And just adding the emerald could cause a mini cycle it's disrupts things while its scavenging.
__________________

__________________
90 gal display 30 gal sump/fuge
San Antonio, Texas
Supa Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine.
__________________

__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine.
+1 I haven't seen my conch in 5-6 days now lol and yeah they are cool to watch especially when they're really tryna get somewhere fast and they "jump" lol they're awesome
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,533
Ben,
try moving your power heads around pointed in all directions to get better flow
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Diatoms dont feed on excess nutrients, they feed on silica/silicate. Increased flow/ different flow/ pristine water really doesnt play a major role. I may have missed it but where exactly did your sand come from? Is it a sw specific sand? Or is it some other form of sand? The only sure fire way is to pinpoint the exact source. If its growing just on the sand, then id say its the sand. Id personally just ride it out, dont get too discouraged. It can only last so long before itll burn itself out. Im not sure if its photosynthetic but you may wanna check on that
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Thanks Huma- it was Caribsea Fiji pink live...
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
Ben,
try moving your power heads around pointed in all directions to get better flow
I appreciate your response, but I have almost 47 x flow in my tank between 3 powerheads in a 55 gallon...
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!
Glad to hear you that! Hopefully everything works out fine for ya now lol
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Does that make sense though, or should i do some more digging into the cause?
__________________

__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eel, fowlr, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting new 55g FOWLR tank Ljk09 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 11 12-05-2012 03:51 AM
For Sale: ~Low Grade Fire Reds/High Grade Sakuras~ San Jose, CA 95120 ~ PU/SHIPPING!!! TheFishBoss97 Archive 2 06-21-2012 09:27 PM
Newbie..starting with FOWLR tank BabyDee17 Member Introductions 3 02-10-2012 06:16 PM
questions about starting 55g FOWLR.. EMTmike Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 01-27-2012 01:35 AM
starting a 20 gallon fowlr tank PLEASE HELP volcomkrew4life Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 08-08-2011 11:19 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.