Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

And just adding the emerald could cause a mini cycle it's disrupts things while its scavenging.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
From my understanding, diatoms consume silica in the sand, so if the sand gets stirred up a little, they'll come back. They'll eventually stop after all the silica is consumed, from what I've read. And conchs are totally reef safe, they're just bigger snails, basically. They stay on the sandbed, though, they will disappear behind the rocks for a couple days and then they'll be back up front. They are great cleaners and kinda cool to watch- they'll stick their "tongues" waaaaayyyy out sometimes and they have those eyes that stick out on either side of the shell. I like mine.
+1 I haven't seen my conch in 5-6 days now lol and yeah they are cool to watch especially when they're really tryna get somewhere fast and they "jump" lol they're awesome
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ben,
try moving your power heads around pointed in all directions to get better flow
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Diatoms dont feed on excess nutrients, they feed on silica/silicate. Increased flow/ different flow/ pristine water really doesnt play a major role. I may have missed it but where exactly did your sand come from? Is it a sw specific sand? Or is it some other form of sand? The only sure fire way is to pinpoint the exact source. If its growing just on the sand, then id say its the sand. Id personally just ride it out, dont get too discouraged. It can only last so long before itll burn itself out. Im not sure if its photosynthetic but you may wanna check on that
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Huma- it was Caribsea Fiji pink live...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
Ben,
try moving your power heads around pointed in all directions to get better flow
I appreciate your response, but I have almost 47 x flow in my tank between 3 powerheads in a 55 gallon...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
So I think I figured out what was happening.. The "diatoms" really ended up being cyano, which I have addresses but still scratching my head. Last water change I got a whiff of a terrible scent. Turns out my biggest turbo snail was wedged behind my skimmer intake and died. I would imagine it was releasing high ammonia levels, and in turn high nitrate levels... I have a rock with grass on it which was absorbing most of the trates but not all. Dead snail is now out and I will resume my water changes and see if this was in fact the cause. Thanks for everyone's help!
Glad to hear you that! Hopefully everything works out fine for ya now lol
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does that make sense though, or should i do some more digging into the cause?

Tags
eel, fowlr, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com