Starting to feel a failing grade in FOWLR 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting to feel a failing grade in FOWLR 101... Tanks been up since July. Current livestock:

2 mocha clowns
1 six line
1 anthias
1 algae blenny
1 tiger goby
1 clown goby
CUC, long spine, emerald crab

I had a diatom bloom at the end if the cycle. What how when why is on my sand? More diatoms, cyano, dirt lol? Params are butter, 10% weekly PWC, I use RODI from a 5 stage from BRS. Do I need a bigger CUC, more flow, less of "X" and more of "Y"? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

image-3181609949.jpg

image-2029419496.jpg

image-1332465237.jpg

Looks like diatoms to me. A conch would help that look beautiful again. I know I'm always suggesting conchs, but they really are great at keeping sand clean. I think they're under-utilized. :D You'd only need 1, BTW.

+1 diatom.... What does your feeding schedule look like? Flow will not affect diatom as it would cyano this is definitely a diatom bloom

How many diatom blooms can a tank see? I thought they were a sign of the end of a cycle and what consumed silicates in the substrate?

Yea well it's very easy to cause your tank to start a mini cycle

So if my feeding has been the same (1/4 cube of frozen shrimp and some pellets) every other day, and water changes the same, what would cause a mini cycle?

Well it cycled 5 months ago. I haven't added a fish for probably 2 months... The last thing I added was an emerald crab the end of November

Have you added rock or even re aqua scaped the rock you have? Any disruption to the natural environment can cause a mini cycle even simply clean your glass

Well I cleaned my glass before my water change like I always do...

I don't think cleaning your glass can cause a mini cycle bc if that were the case id be having problems... my tank has been up for 3-4 months tops as you know (my 29G reef) and I still have a bit of diatoms on my sand bed.. even with my conch and sand sifting star.. just ride it out.. mine keep coming and going... if they're really bad(and an eye sore).. then just siphon it out :) other than that.. a conch would help too lol

You might not think so but do some research and you will see how little of a disturbance can cause a mini cycle

DanS180 said:
I don't think cleaning your glass can cause a mini cycle bc if that were the case id be having problems... my tank has been up for 3-4 months tops as you know (my 29G reef) and I still have a bit of diatoms on my sand bed.. even with my conch and sand sifting star.. just ride it out.. mine keep coming and going... if they're really bad(and an eye sore).. then just siphon it out :) other than that.. a conch would help too lol

Thanks Dan, yea I didn't do anything drastic lately that IMO would cause a mini cycle. Guess I'll just ride it out. How big do conchs get and are they reef safe?

HovaRockz said:
You might not think so but do some research and you will see how little of a disturbance can cause a mini cycle

Well maybe post some links? I dont see how doing maintenance like cleaning the glass would cause a spike in anything...? Otherwise there would be a warning label on MagFloats :cool:

All my parameters in my tank are 0 (ammo, nitrite and nitrate) and I'm constantly scrubbing diatoms and whatnot off my glass AND I have a cyano problem n I never have mini cycle..

Conchs are reef safe, I have one.. although I haven't seen him in a few days. He likes to bury himself lol not sure on size.. I know they can get to a decent size but not positive on actual numbers

Lol just google what would cause a mini cycle there is 99999999999 different things that would not saying that particular one pertains to you but playing the guessing game takes you but so far if you are not aware of some of the things that could have resulted in your problem... But hey it's your issue I guess follow the advice you think best pertains to your issue :)

I never said I didn't believe you... I appreciate the help, I just didn't know if you have any specifics that all... Thanks I'll look into it

Starting to feel a failing grade in FOWLR 101... Tanks been up since July. Current livestock:

2 mocha clowns
1 six line
1 anthias
1 algae blenny
1 tiger goby
1 clown goby
CUC, long spine, emerald crab

I had a diatom bloom at the end if the cycle. What how when why is on my sand? More diatoms, cyano, dirt lol? Params are butter, 10% weekly PWC, I use RODI from a 5 stage from BRS. Do I need a bigger CUC, more flow, less of "X" and more of "Y"? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

When you water change have u siphoned the sand?

Back
Top Bottom