Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Still having issues with water clarity.

Hey guys, I posted a while back and have changed several things but my water has not cleared up... I still have small white particles in my water... I have:
removed overflow filter sleve
changed drip tray filter to a pura pad (2 days ago)
drained wet/dry and cleared all possible detritus from the bottom.
cleaned venturi on skimmer

my levels are

ph 8.0 (added buffer today)
salinity 1.26
nitrate 10
nitrite 0
amonia 0
calcium 420-440
temp 80

Any other ideas?

Edit- The last picture makes it look worse than it is, I just added ph buffer but it gives you the idea. Lots of white particles.

90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
kgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Stop addding calcium buffer first of all. How often do you? For what corals?

What did you do different just before the water went south? Do you "add" anything else? Other than Ph buffer?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Stop addding calcium buffer first of all. How often do you? For what corals?

What did you do different just before the water went south? Do you "add" anything else? Other than Ph buffer?
To be honest that is the first time I have added ph buffer in four months. The water problem has been around for a while. I dont add anything else.
90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruel
Smile Clarity

hello sir,
Have you tired methylene blue? 1 tsp per 10 gallons. as I experienced it enhanced the clarity of my water, it also disinfects the water, thus it makes your fishes healthy and away from any possible fish diseases.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Particles? Or bubbles? Either way they have to be coming from somewhere
Particles would come from a power head or a pump too close to your substrate maybe. Bubbles, I have found tiny leaks in my plumbing that let super tiny bubbles into my tank that kinda look like particles.It is obviously a physical issue that I don't think any chemicals will fix. It looks like my tank after I blow the detrius off my live rock. That's all I have! good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are definitely particles. I am beginning to think it is ca precipitate. I have been using oceanic salt and am switching that out as I know it has a lot of ca in it. What can I do to prevent this from happening and remove it from the system? Or am I off track?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Good possibility - even though I know nothing about ca precipitate. Possible since Oceranic is notoriously hihg in calcium anyway, And some - likely too much added on top of that.

I'd consider 20 to 25% water changes over the next couple days. Changing salt should be a gradual thing anyway done thru water changes.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

At those ca levels, I wouldn't expect it to be Ca precipitating out. What is your alkalinity?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will check alkalinity later on today, I was surprised that my ca levels were so low, usually I am up above 500ppm but I was a bit since my last water change. I did a water change yesterday morning and I will check all my levels today and re-post. I Would really like to clear up my water.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are my updated levels as of today.
Phosphate .5
KH 8 DKH 143.2 ppm kh/gh
ca. 400
ph 8.2
sg 1.026
temp 77
nitrate 20

Tags
clarity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com