Still having nitrate issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I posted a couple weeks ago after moving an existing tank and having high nitrate levels after the move. It is now 2 weeks later and nitrates are still 160ppm. So her goes. 92 gallon corner tank 70lbs of live rock and 1 inch of live gravel. Using fluval fx5 filter and a hob protein skimmer. 1 chromis 1 hippo tang 1 but damsel 1 clown 2 choco chip and 3 snails. Feeding every other day 1 cube of frozen rinsed with Rodi. All other levels are normal. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Since I have had the tanks I have done 60 gallons in water changes. This is not my first tank but first time using canister filter. Please help

IMO you just need to keep changing water until you get trates down.
Larger changes will be more effective then small ones.
Have you considered carbon dosing?
I use 'bio plastics' I my 75(just started them again last week) to control nitrates.
Takes about a month to 'cycle in' .

I vodka dose my 120 and cycled for that in under a month.
With the vodka dosing I can control where I want nitrates.
The bio plastics will just keep removing nitrates.

Both methods need to have a protein skimmer running well.

Neither of those are going to help you now though.
Math says if you change75% you would still have at leas t40ppm trates and that accounts for 160 being accurate and not just the highest the test goes).
Since you changed more then 50% already I think your trates are over 160(considerably?).

Yes I agree that ppm are higher then 160 since I have done so many water changes. I just am not sure where the nitrates are coming from. I do not over feed. I am not sure if I shouldn't get rid of the fluval canister and drill tank for a sump. Never had this problem before. I am not familiar with dosing for nitrates but I will look into.

Thank you I am going to pick up some distilled vodka. Very useful article and seems to have some major benefits other then nitrate and phosphate control. I will keep everyone posted on the status

160 ppm and the snails are still alive? I have a couple messy eaters so I'm always battling nitrates, I have the biopellets and I dose Redsea nitrate/phosphate remover. Like someone else said, these methods keep things in check, water change is the only way to remove nitrates quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes everybody in the tank is showing zero signs of distress. I almost thought the test kit could be bad but I think that is unlikely. I started my vodka dosing this afternoon and will check my filter for waste. I will continue with the daily water changes.

If you go by the instructions, you aren't going to see anything for 7 months, if your Nitrates are that high.
I recommend jumping the MLS up to 5mls every 5 days. Its not going to hurt a thing, and will get you results quickly. Melvs, was just a test to see how long it would take and what the results were. You do not need to follow that chart.
I still dose vodka to this day. I've been doing it for a couple years now.

Thanks reefing madness. So 1ml per day for 5 days? And I am using a syringe to slow drip it in to the water is this the proper method?

Not 1ml for 5 days. 1ml for first 3 days, then jump it to 5mls for 4 days, then after that jump it up another 5mls every 5 days.So every 5 days after the first 7 days, you will be adding 5mls to the current dose.
Split up the doseage once you get to 10mls. Put 5mls in the morning and 5mls in the evening, try and split it up at 12 hours.
Once you have it measured out, you can just dump it in. The drip method is if you can figure out how to get it to drip through a 24 hour period for you.

I really appreciate the help and advice I will get this going today. I will keep you posted on the results.

Back
Top Bottom