Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stock

Alright so im at the point where i can start adding fish in my 30 gallon. now heres my thing. I saw a lionfish and fell in love with it and i know there are dwarfs, which i would get. but i also want some inverts. shrimps, a sea star, and maybe and urchin. now i have researched and i know that the lionfish will eat them. i am going to have to go one way or the other. does anyone have any recommendations on either way to go? maybe some of your storys with lionfish? is a lion fish hard to keep?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is not worth getting a lionfish unless you have a big tank IMO. This one fish will occupy most of your tank and if you get it then you can only get latge fish that it wont eat, cant get any inverts. I dont know about corals or not. Either way, i would get the traditional clowns and nano fish along with many shrimp and corals

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah that was my first choice, and i didnt want to sacrafice all the cool inverts and smaller fish, your right. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was in your position with an eel, but i decided to go traditional and i am very happy i did! Good luck
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lion will only eat the shrinp. You could definitely keep a star. Lions are groupers PRETTY MUCH, and my grouper and trigger don't bother any inverts except for shrimp. I currently have 2 stars, many snails, hermits, etc with my fish and they're fine. And if you do decide on the lion, a fu Manchu would be the best by far.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My opinion, for what its worth is to go traditional. The lion is a super cool fish and maybe one day you can get a tank for one but you probably can get more diversity from a tradional setup. Your options are so much better of ypu go that route.

Just my thought, let us know what you go with!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks everybody, carey your right i could always get one down the road in a different tank, but i think im gonna go traditional. thanks again!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ashjef

Tags
stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com