Stock list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I keep changing my mind about my stock list for my 65 gal fowlr. This was my tentative plan...

2 clowns (which i already have)
bicolor angelfish
royal gramma
flame hawkfish
yellowtail damselfish-3

I also considered a yellow clown goby and a wrasse (maybe the carpenters flasher wrasse?)

Can I mix a few semi-aggressive fish (hawkfish, bicolor angelfish and damselfish) with the other peaceful ones? According to the chart I can...but I want to make sure. Or would it be better to stick with all peaceful, and get the goby and a coral beauty or flame angelfish instead? Or something else entirely?I really don't want anyone picking on anyone. What are your thoughts? :thanks:

If it was me I would skip the damsels (JMO). The bi color is a pretty finicky fish IME.

I would pick the fish by the job they do and food they need.

Damsel out for sure not worth the problems later.

Hawk fish, royal Gramma etc - are similar in size and are carnivorous. Since most people don't feed a lot of frozen food they will compete for the life in the tank( pods etc) and be aggressive to each other.

I would pick one from them.

I have tried not to stock fish of same size, color, food source and worked great for me so far.

I would stay away from damsels. I have a three stripe and a domino. I love them to death and I think there great. The only problem is there really agressive and I can't put anything else with them. I'm starting another tank just so I can keep them. =\ there just extremly territorial. In my opinon they should have their own tank or its not worse the hasle of trying to find other fish to put with them.

Heres my future stock for my 66 reef

2 occerellis clownfish
1 Orange stripe prawn goby
1 Fairy wrasse
1 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 pygmy angel (bicolor or flame)
1 One spot foxface

Gboy66 said:
Heres my future stock for my 66 reef

2 occerellis clownfish
1 Orange stripe prawn goby
1 Fairy wrasse
1 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 pygmy angel (bicolor or flame)
1 One spot foxface

Looks great!
I would go for flame angel :)

Heera said:
Looks great!
I would go for flame angel :)

Haha trust me, it took forever to get it just right! They are all compatible, not overstocked, reef safe..and pretty awesone if i do say so myself;)

Gboy66 said:
Haha trust me, it took forever to get it just right! They are all compatible, not overstocked, reef safe..and pretty awesone if i do say so myself;)

I know the feeling. You want every beautiful fish in your tank at the same time.
It's a challenge. Welcome to the world of saltwater. Lol

Heera said:
I know the feeling. You want every beautiful fish in your tank at the same time.
It's a challenge. Welcome to the world of saltwater. Lol

Haha it definitly is! This isnt my first sw tank though, ive had to mess with stocklista alot haha

I would stay away from the damsels, easily replaced with 3 blue green reef chromis, damsel family but usually peaceful. I like my lubbocks fairy wrasse (silly fish to my 3 year old)

Sounds like a good lineup. Sounds like you've been doing good research so Im sure you know to add the more aggressive fish last, probably the hawkfish in this case?

Oh, feed your fish a mix of brine and mysis shrimp and you should have no problem with having multiple carnivorous fish.

Ok thank you everyone for the advice...so helpful!

So the damsels are out. And if I feed plenty of brine and mysis shrimp, I can have both the hawkfish and the gramma? That is good news. Yes I definitely was thinking of adding the hawkfish last. The rest of the order is up in the air for now I guess...I am going to look into the other fish that were mentioned.

It seems like some people are hestitant about the bicolor angel. I did notice that his care level is "moderate" instead of beginner. Is that because he is a finicky eater? Anything else that's important to know about him? I did really want to get him...but if the general consensus is that he will be hard to care for I definitely don't want to kill him.

I am going to do a little bit more research and will probably come back with more questions. Thanks again.

For whatever reason I have personally had bad luck with angels, but a bi color or coral beauty should not be that hard to care for.

Ok here's my revision (added in this order)...
2 clownfish
royal gramma
3 blue reef chromis
bicolor angel
flame hawkfish

How does that look? It's not overstocked is it? It's about 35 inches of fish (at max full grown size possible). I wanted to also get a MoCoskers wrasse, but I'm pretty sure that would be overstocked. Your thoughts?

apinkmanatee said:
Ok here's my revision (added in this order)...
2 clownfish
royal gramma
3 blue reef chromis
bicolor angel
flame hawkfish

How does that look? It's not overstocked is it? It's about 35 inches of fish (at max full grown size possible). I wanted to also get a MoCoskers wrasse, but I'm pretty sure that would be overstocked. Your thoughts?

No thats a good stock, about stocked. The "inch per gallon" rule is terrible though. It really doesnt tell you anything, so dont use that

Without the Wrasse. Have you considered a goby of some sorts? Very small entertaining fish. I personally love gobies they are so cute and fun.

Back
Top Bottom