Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have many many hermits, some as big as 5 inches, they will however eat a dying or dead critter. Hermits will not attack a healthy starfish and kill it. Been doing this a few years and have had a few starfish and none ever died to the claws of a hermit. LOL

Oh, and where would I "look it up"? I have read extensively about everything salt water and have never ever seen that scenario.

Regarding starfish and exposure to air...I know Linkias can not have exposure... That is why so many die. I've read that brittles are not as sensitive, but still should not have exposure. Just to be safe , I would shoot for avoiding exposure. Can't lose that way .

I have many many hermits, some as big as 5 inches, they will however eat a dying or dead critter. Hermits will not attack a healthy starfish and kill it. Been doing this a few years and have had a few starfish and none ever died to the claws of a hermit. LOL

Oh, and where would I "look it up"? I have read extensively about everything salt water and have never ever seen that scenario.

There's been a saltwater tank in my house since I was at least 5. I'm now 22. And we have had hermits kill starfish and when I was getting a clean up crew for my 120 gallon tank I searched the internet to see which ones were safe and it specifically mentioned ones that could not go with starfish. Dwarfs like blue legs are the only ones that are supposed to be safe

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe it was a coincidence but since that I've stayed away from big hermits. The pet store even told us when we took it back that yea they weren't reef safe and would kill starfish and snails and such

my dwarf hermitss attacked and killed a watchman goby. and some snails. as i once read. "they are crabs. crabs are oppurtunists and will kill if given a window." any "crab" is lethal. justgive them a chance

Certain stars can be on their way out before we realize it and the hermits are just finishing it off. Maybe the giant ones will kill one if they are starving but it is unlikely. Did you watch the hermits kill the watchman. I doubt a healthy watchman would fall prey to hermit crabs.

Certain stars can be on their way out before we realize it and the hermits are just finishing it off. Maybe the giant ones will kill one if they are starving but it is unlikely. Did you watch the hermits kill the watchman. I doubt a healthy watchman would fall prey to hermit crabs.

The Water Was Really Cluody Because Something Happened. ThereWere Three On him. i Think They Caught Him Off Guard

I have at least 30 hermits in my biocube and some are over an inch or even bigger AND I have two small clown gobies which are half the size of the hermits and they have all been happy together for years. :)

If hermits did indeed eat fish and starfish no one would keep them in their tanks. ;lol

I think the situations just presented themselves as the hermits eating healthy fish. believe me when I lose a fish I always always see the clean up crew doing their jobs and "cleaning" up the dead fish. If I lose sight of a fish and suspect its passed all I have to do is look for a mound of hermits and snails to be certain and to locate the missing fish.

Would it be okay to add a firefish to this stock

Sent from my XT1058 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also a sandsifting goby

The description on live aquaria says it can get up to 15 inches in diameter is it okay to be in a 90 gallon tank

Look on Petco it says 6 inches and my lfs says 5

Oh okay maybe that was a different type of star

No it's a chocolate chip too. Liveaquaria is wrong.

No maybe the type of chocolate chip on liveaquaria is different

Everywhere says different things. There may be different types of choc chips or something. I've got one that's grown to be the size of my hand that I've had for about 4 years or so. I tried searching the internet to find how long they live and how big they get and couldn't find a straight answer

Going to stock my 90 gallon fowlr tank and was wondering if this is a good stock
3 green chromis
1 coral beauty
1 choc chip star
1 cleaner shrimp
1 firefish
1sixline wrasse
2 oce clowns
1 goby

That is a nice list for a 90. Just remember to add them slowly. And if you have questions regarding requirements to keep a specific fish, liveaquaria is the go to place. They are normally spot on for keeping fish healthy and happy.

Sweeeeeeeet nice to hear and yeah planning to add one chromis, monitor then add the rest

My neighbor has a hippo tang clown and blenny maybe?? Yellow and pink fish would these be okay to add to the stock maybe?

Back
Top Bottom