Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Stocking 55 gallon

Hi Everyone

I was making a new stocking list for my aquarium since my tank got hit by some disease and only one clown fish made it out alive.

So here is the stocking list
1 more clown to make a pair
1 coral beauty angel
1 green chromis
1 royal Gramma
1 tomini tang

Would that be to much of a bio load? I have live rock and a hang on filter if that helps with anything.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Some more info about the system would be helpful towards determining what would be beneficial for the system. The one thing I would change is the tang. Tangs need atleast 6 ft of swimming room to be able to remain healthy as they are open water swimmers. Even those that can do ok in smaller systems, are still in the 75-90 gallon range. A 55 just isn't healthy for a tang.
That would put the stocking pretty light, a goby would be a nice fit to the situation. I personally like the engineer goby I have in my 55, but there are many others as well.
When picking up a new clown, just make sure it is the same type and smaller than the one your currently have. It will help with them possibly pairing rather than beating each other to death.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any other comments on my tank stocking
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is there any tang I could put in a 55 gallon?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No. Open water swimmers, such as tangs, need long distances to swim. They need the 6 ft of open water.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Generally Tomini, Kole and possibly a Two Spot (the biggest of the three) bristle-tooth tangs would be ok in a 4ft tank. But a 55er is narrow so I would be a little hesitant.
For Chromis get a trio if you can. They look better schooling. Make sure they are medium sized and feed twice a day and you won't have a kill off...that's been my experience.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Generally Tomini, Kole and possibly a Two Spot (the biggest of the three) bristle-tooth tangs would be ok in a 4ft tank. But a 55er is narrow so I would be a little hesitant.
For Chromis get a trio if you can. They look better schooling. Make sure they are medium sized and feed twice a day and you won't have a kill off...that's been my experience.
Don't forget chevrons are bristle tooth tangs . They're the biggest ones. However I wouldn't put a tang in a 55, how about a cool wrasse like a fairy or flasher wrasse?
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Don't forget chevrons are bristle tooth tangs . They're the biggest ones. However I wouldn't put a tang in a 55, how about a cool wrasse like a fairy or flasher wrasse?

Yes I am aware. I listed those 3 as potential inhabitants of a 4ft tank. Chevron and Striated tangs are the biggest bristletooth tangs that I wouldn't consider in a 4ft tank. I don't personally have a tang in my 4ft 60 gallon because I don't want an Ich prone fish but I've seen others having one of the three I mentioned earlier.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ah gotcha. Makes sense lol

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com