Stocking 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flame Hawkfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone

I was making a new stocking list for my aquarium since my tank got hit by some disease and only one clown fish made it out alive.

So here is the stocking list
1 more clown to make a pair
1 coral beauty angel
1 green chromis
1 royal Gramma
1 tomini tang

Would that be to much of a bio load? I have live rock and a hang on filter if that helps with anything.

:thanks:

Some more info about the system would be helpful towards determining what would be beneficial for the system. The one thing I would change is the tang. Tangs need atleast 6 ft of swimming room to be able to remain healthy as they are open water swimmers. Even those that can do ok in smaller systems, are still in the 75-90 gallon range. A 55 just isn't healthy for a tang.
That would put the stocking pretty light, a goby would be a nice fit to the situation. I personally like the engineer goby I have in my 55, but there are many others as well.
When picking up a new clown, just make sure it is the same type and smaller than the one your currently have. It will help with them possibly pairing rather than beating each other to death.

Generally Tomini, Kole and possibly a Two Spot (the biggest of the three) bristle-tooth tangs would be ok in a 4ft tank. But a 55er is narrow so I would be a little hesitant.
For Chromis get a trio if you can. They look better schooling. Make sure they are medium sized and feed twice a day and you won't have a kill off...that's been my experience.

Generally Tomini, Kole and possibly a Two Spot (the biggest of the three) bristle-tooth tangs would be ok in a 4ft tank. But a 55er is narrow so I would be a little hesitant.
For Chromis get a trio if you can. They look better schooling. Make sure they are medium sized and feed twice a day and you won't have a kill off...that's been my experience.

Don't forget chevrons are bristle tooth tangs :). They're the biggest ones. However I wouldn't put a tang in a 55, how about a cool wrasse like a fairy or flasher wrasse?

Don't forget chevrons are bristle tooth tangs :). They're the biggest ones. However I wouldn't put a tang in a 55, how about a cool wrasse like a fairy or flasher wrasse?

Yes I am aware. I listed those 3 as potential inhabitants of a 4ft tank. Chevron and Striated tangs are the biggest bristletooth tangs that I wouldn't consider in a 4ft tank. I don't personally have a tang in my 4ft 60 gallon because I don't want an Ich prone fish but I've seen others having one of the three I mentioned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom