Stocking 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is fully cycled with 1 chromis and about 4-5 hermits crab in it. I went to get some turbo snails today to help clean my glass. However, there were a few fish on sale among them a sailfin Tang and panther grouper. I bought the grouper (size 2") for $9.99 now I am thinking about going to get the tang for $19.99. Will putting these two fish in small tank like mine be a problem?

You may want to check this out:

Marine Compatability Chart

It's a compatibility chart. This will help you decide what's best so you don't want any issues in your tank. Always be sure to do your research before adding a new fish. Sounds like you have a big enough tank for a tang. I think you'll be okay with having those fish in your tank.

i think grouper will eat fish and inverts... when its bigger of course, aggressive fish should go in last, your kinda going backwards

Here is my grouper

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110220_121538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110220_121538.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 141
  • ForumRunner_20110220_121615.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110220_121615.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 160
seeing these groupers in small tanks is really my pet peeve . i dont know if your aware but a panther grouper is a fairly large fish requiring at least 300 gallons capable of reaching almost 2 ft . just an all around terrible idea for a 90 gallon. that and it will eat anything it can fit in its mouth . id suggest returning it

looks pretty cool, i suggest enjoying it for a little while and then trading it in

After making this uneducated purchase, I will keep the group until it becomes too big for my tank and then sell it or trade it for store credit at the LFS. My concern now is how best do I stock around the grouper. I like: Tangs, angelfish, wrasse, triggers.

Panther groupers in my ecperience are not that aggressive. I dont think it will be a problem stocking the tank just stay away from anything that can fit in his mouth. If it comea to close it may end up as dinner

I think you could get a smaller tang like the kole, a dwarf angel, maybe a niger trigger, any of the small to medium wrasses should be ok. What are you wanting to do with the tank? a reef safe tank is much more interesting and active. With some of your interests you will loose the ability to have a lot of cool inverts and coral down the road, not to mention smaller fish

Hinds04 said:
I think you could get a smaller tang like the kole, a dwarf angel, maybe a niger trigger, any of the small to medium wrasses should be ok. What are you wanting to do with the tank? a reef safe tank is much more interesting and active. With some of your interests you will loose the ability to have a lot of cool inverts and coral down the road, not to mention smaller fish

I think you may have a good point. Because the inverts that I wanted now that I have the grouper in my tank it limits my choice to potentially have a reef safe tank. I will try to return the grouper today for store credit or an exchange

I did get store credit for the panther grouper today. I took two chromis and two engineer goby. Now I have a total of 5 fish. I will get some more live rocks tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom