Stocking a 125 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am hopefully gonna be setting up a 125 FOWLR some time soon and was thinking about stock ideas. I would like-
1 niger trigger
1 white cheek tang
1 convict tang
1 snowflake moray
1 volitan lion
1 regal angel
1 dog face puffer or a porcupine
1 dragon wrasse
1 pakistan butterfly
And if theres anything else i could do than im open to ideas! 40g wc 1-2 a week.

Thanks for all you help! :D

I am hopefully gonna be setting up a 125 FOWLR some time soon and was thinking about stock ideas. I would like-
1 niger trigger
1 white cheek tang
1 convict tang
1 snowflake moray
1 volitan lion
1 regal angel
1 dog face puffer or a porcupine
1 dragon wrasse
1 pakistan butterfly
And if theres anything else i could do than im open to ideas! 40g wc 1-2 a week.

Thanks for all you help! :D

That is a lot of big fish and even though the tank is big, a lot of those have big appetite. I'd pass on the regal, and butterfly as well as one other fish. The regal and butterfly due to them both being quite difficult.

That is a lot of big fish and even though the tank is big, a lot of those have big appetite. I'd pass on the regal, and butterfly as well as one other fish. The regal and butterfly due to them both being quite difficult.

Alright thanks for the help! Could i remove the lion and go with a large angel? Singapore angel?

IMO I wouldn't put a large angel in a 125. Also large angels tend to poop a lot and it looks like you gotta a pretty large bioload as it is. Singapore angels are much more difficult than a Queen or Emperor angel. If you do upgrade I would consider one of those two.

I would also recommend using bioballs or ceramic media for this tank as its much for efficient in processing waste. Furthermore, you may want to reconsider getting the blue tang, and possible cut back on one of the aggressive fish (puffer, eel, trigger, lionfish)

I have decided on ether a 150 or a 180. Could i get my desired stock in those tanks? Dont really like blue tangs...

It will be crowded even in a 180g that is 72x24x24... Some of those fish on your list get enormous. I wouldn't even put all those fish in a 240g. I guess if you get a great skimmer and are willing to do weekly water changes it can be done... Just be sure you get a bioball/ceramic setup, don't let anyone talk you into doing a refugium.

The aggressive fish that you want are not really open swimmers like the tangs, but generate LOTS of waste. The puffer coupled with the eel and the trigger can really pollute the water in hurry with the waste and uneaten food. So I cannot over emphasize the need for a good skimmer probably rated for 400 gallons.

It will be crowded even in a 180g that is 72x24x24... Some of those fish on your list get enormous. I wouldn't even put all those fish in a 240g. I guess if you get a great skimmer and are willing to do weekly water changes it can be done... Just be sure you get a bioball/ceramic setup, don't let anyone talk you into doing a refugium.

The aggressive fish that you want are not really open swimmers like the tangs, but generate LOTS of waste. The puffer coupled with the eel and the trigger can really pollute the water in hurry with the waste and uneaten food. So I cannot over emphasize the need for a good skimmer probably rated for 400 gallons.

Why are you so into bio ball/ceramic rings? They don't house the anaerobic bacteria needed for sw. A refugium or good skimmer will do a lot more for you and the fuge will be a safe haven for pods.

I wasn't trying to argue I was just wondering the reasoning behind not wanting a refugium.

I wasn't trying to argue I was just wondering the reasoning behind not wanting a refugium.

I just feel bio balls are more efficient in tank with large aggressive fish...but refugiums are great too.

Singapore Angels are classified as Large, but they stay dwarf size. They really are nothing like a French, Emperor, BlueRing, Queen, etc, IMO.

Do 1 large angel, ditch the volitan for either a fuzzy dwarf or similar smaller-lion, and lastly ... PURPLE TANG!!!

Back
Top Bottom