Stocking a 20 gallon high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a yellow and green clown goby and they are really cute. They are active about half the time and perch the other half. lol

Will this be a reef tank with corals or just fish? Do you intend to go with corals at any time? How about inverts like snails and hermits? Theres a bunch of fish you can choose from but you have to consider those questions when picking your fish.

I like lawnmower blenny's, a super ton of personality, havent met one yet that wasnt a character. I also like citron gobies another not usual fish but good for a 20g tank. :)

I have about 15 to 20 hermit crabs in the tank now and I really like them. So I would like some fish that are compatible. Should the clown fish and gobies be alright with hermits and snails? And I am just planning on it being FOWLR

2 clowns in a 20H would be to much, you have to remember you're losing space with your rock. Your 20H with rock will probably end up being 15 gallons.
Here's a pretty good guide to help you select.
lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish - Beginners Discussion - Nano-Reef.com Forums
A lawnmower won't work in a 20H either, they get to big.

Do you have a 20g saltwater tank? Or a lawnmower blenny? I had clowns and that blenny in a 29g and they were just fine. When you stock you dont actually consider the water volume with rocks you go with the tank size. lol If that were the case a 125g reef would only have a few fish and tangs couldnt fit! LOL Which isnt the case at all. Most people will use common sense when adding rock and it wont be a tank full of rocks which then woudlnt allow much of any fish to be in that tank.

I agree two clowns should be in a 30g tank but the OP can get away with 2 in my opinion.

Do you have a 20g saltwater tank? Or a lawnmower blenny? I had clowns and that blenny in a 29g and they were just fine. When you stock you dont actually consider the water volume with rocks you go with the tank size. lol If that were the case a 125g reef would only have a few fish and tangs couldnt fit! LOL Which isnt the case at all. Most people will use common sense when adding rock and it wont be a tank full of rocks which then woudlnt allow much of any fish to be in that tank.

I agree two clowns should be in a 30g tank but the OP can get away with 2 in my opinion.

What's a OP. lol I'm new to this

I agree with the clowns but obviously it would depend on the species of clown I would go for occellaris in that sized tank as they stay very small IMO

For sure, I wouldnt put a large clown on there like maroons or anything. :) But your typical clown fish should be fine.

Yeah I had a 20 gallon with 2 clowns and a couple of hermits and shrimp in there as my first sw tank

I just want 2 regular smaller sized ones. Any specific breed I should get? And should I get 2 males or 2 females or one of each? And I have a few hermits and 2 turbo snails. Will clowns eat hermits and snails?

Yep, you want regular oscellaris clowns, the orange and white ones. :)
They are fine with inverts so dont worry about that. No matter what you get size wise one will become the female and one the male, the larger the female.

Yep, you want regular oscellaris clowns, the orange and white ones. :)
They are fine with inverts so dont worry about that. No matter what you get size wise one will become the female and one the male, the larger the female.

That is very very interesting. Do they breed in captivity? And are they egg layers? Will they eat their babies?

Back
Top Bottom