Stocking a 40b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have set up my first saltwater tank, a 40b, and need help with stocking it.

So far I have:
-A yellow watchman goby
- four hermits

What I want (for sure)
- snails (what kind are good cleaners?)
- one peppermint shrimp
- one Scarlett skunk cleaner shrimp
- two clowns

Eventually I would like to get coral so any other neat fish that you guys would suggest would need to be reef safe.

Im open to any suggestions and really appreciate any help! Thanks!

I like red or purple firefish and Royal gamma basslet is cool too. You should get a green star polyp coral. It was my first

image-963945228.jpg

Firefish are a great fish, mine is always swimming about. :) I also like the flame hawks or maybe a pygmy hawkfish. Dottybacks are a nice choice too, mine is a tad bit aggressive though. lol

There are so many fish to consider, have you checked out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums yet? You can search through hundreds of fish and they will list the needs of the fish and if they are reef safe as well. A great reference.

Since the post I've actually did get two clowns. They host the corner of the tank

ForumRunner_20130704_231739.jpg

I will take a look at the link! Also are flame hawks dangerous to inverts?

They can be dangerous with small ornamental shrimp. I havent seen mine go for snails or hermits though. I have a pygmy hawk in my 29g cube along with a fire shrimp and lots of snails and hermits and he has left them alone.

Would it kill hermits? What shrimps are considered ornamental shrimp?

Mine havent messed with my hermits at all and its been at least a year. Small shrimp like sexy shrimp and even very small peppermints would probably get eaten. :)

Hawkfish are predatory and don't care if the shrimp is a feeder or cleaner it will try to eat it. When the hermit crabs look for a new shell, they will be vunurable and the hawkfish may try to attack. I would add a helfrichi firefish or a possum wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom