Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gah! I hope they don't have ich. Both have white spots. The strange thing is I saw several white spots on the dottyback's body this morning. 15 minutes later they were all gone. Several on the beauty though. Hoping it is something other than marine ich. I will see if they are still on the beauty when I get home from work.

Could it just be sand or stress? My sand is almost white. The base rock is white too.

Coral beauty still hasn't eaten anything.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I might try the hypo treatment just in case it is marine ich unless you know of a better option.

Questions for hypo treatment:
1) how slowly should I lower the salinity?
2) is it ok to hypo my display tank since I don't have a qt tank setup yet? The only thing in it is these two fish and a little bit of live rock. 50 lbs base rock. Will it kill of the 10-15 lbs of live rock?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

To my knowledge, you need to do it kind of quickly or the ich will adjust. You should be ok doing it in your dt.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pistol shrimp are noisey but there real cool and mine trims the macro alge in my tank. You should check out a 6 line wrasse too they got great color.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What are you feeding them?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

The pistol shrimp? He gets what all the other fish get. A mix of salt water frozen stuff, flakes krill, and pellets. I just happend to hear him snapping away one day and I found him taking chunks of macro. Ever since then I try to put some down where he can get it.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was using new life spectrum sinking pellets but they would just fall to the bottom. So until I went to the lfs last night I had to use goldfish flakes. The flakes would fly around the tank for several minutes because of the power heads. So I picked up some flake marine chips - herbivore diet (instant ocean brand) last night. I also got some garlic hoping it would help. I soaked the new flake food in garlic. No luck so far on the beauty. I'm going to try bloodworms today.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #28

Ive had good luck with the garlic. But it does take time. You just dont want to over do it cause the garlic can contribute to raising your levels. Ive also done a fresh water dip( be careful). And if you dont have any, try cleaner shrimp. Mine eat everything off my fish.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was considering a fresh water dip. A little worried about it though. The coral beauty seems a little stressed as it is. He finally ate a little this morning.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #30

Did you just recently add them to your tank. If so it sometimes takes a couple days for them to adapt to a new environment and start eating. I have used the fresh water dip but i would kinda research and ask around for people who have done it. I personally like the garlic, but it does take a few days to see results. Also its goo for the fish. Between the garlic and cleaner shrimp ive always had good luck.

Tags
55 gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com