Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Definately get some peppermints if you enjoy watching shrimp. I have 2 and I love watching them. They'll stand there and sway back and forth (my wife calls them Stevie Wonder shrimp) and when food shows up in the current, they come out and snatch it out of the water when it comes by. They're great for keeping aiptasia out of the tank to.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Peppermints are really funny to watch. I have 2 as well and the hang upside down on a rock and come out whenever there is food floating around. I would not keep the angels together though, they will probably end up killing each other.

3G Betta Tank
Crick127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
So peppermints and coral banded shrimp won't kill each other? If I can I'd love to have like 3 or 4 peppermints and a coral banded.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the corals i got killed the peppermints and blood red I had then they fought each other and now only have 1 coral.If you do decide on a coral banded place all decorations so there is a hiding place facing the front of the tank or you will rarly see it.I have seen my coral banded like twice this month.As for the angels I was told if you do get 2 treat them like tangs,get them the same size and release at same time so niether has already established tank dominance.But your still at a 50/50 chance.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would stick to the peppermints...I have been looking for peppermints in my LFS for weeks and no one has them!! Its so frustrating!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

The hippo tang and sailfin tang grow quite large and really aren't suited to a 75 gallon IMO. Yellow tang or kole tang are great suggestions.

Coral banded shrimp become pretty territorial and I think one might kill peppermint shrimp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2 angels in a 75 probably won't work. It's not something I would try. IMO you should choose one favorite and stick with that.

For a ton of color, have you considered a fairy wrasse? They are generally pretty peaceful and don't eat coral.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #27

Check out live aquaria and look at the diff between the camel/dancing and the peppermints.Alot of LFS and OLFS will try to sell the camel as peppermints.If mem serves correct peppermints are red and pinkish striped and they are aptasia killers and are part of the tank cleaners,camels are red and white striped and are basically deco and somewhat tank cleaners and are the more agressive of the 2.If you wanted 2 diff types of shrimp try the peppermint and blood red cleaner of just reg cleaner.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some camel shrimp will eat zoas. The ones I had did, and I had to tear my Biocube apart to get them out. Definitely make sure you have a peppermint. LOL
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #29

I have a bi-color blenny that is fun to watch. He rests on rocks or hides in the coral, watching the other fish go by, then darts out to grab a bite off the rocks. They're algae eaters, and mine eats mysis or anything else I feed the others. He sort of looks like an eel when he swims. I think they're pretty hardy and easy to care for.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #30

I have a peppermint, coral banded, and cleaner skunk shrimp. The coral and cleaner are out all the time and get along fine. The peppermint hides a lot, so maybe the coral just hasn't found it yet. I've had the coral for 2 years, the cleaner for a year and the peppermint for a month.

Tags
75g, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com