Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Stocking a 75G

I think now is a good time to start thinkin 'bout what I'm gonna put in there.

I know I want 2 ocellaris (brothers want them actually) probably 4 or 5 damsels, 2 coral banded or peppermint shrimp, can I put maybe 2 blue hippo tangs in? maybe a copperbanded butterfly? When the tank is more mature I want to get a starfish of some kind and a feather duster or two. I'm totally not sure how much is too much so if I seem like I don't know then its probably because I don't haha. I want to make sure I don't overstock on my first SW tank.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would skip the damsels. They will be a terror in your tank. Also two hippo tangs will be too much. Maybe one. A yellow or yellow eyed kole tang would be better suited for a 75. IMO the hippo tang is more suseptible to ick than the other two.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with melosu58, two hippos would def be too much, one maybe. As previously stated the blue hippos are more likely to get ick. I have a yellow tang that I love, a kole tang would also be a good pick!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
While more susceptible to ich, they're worth the risk, they're beautiful. I do think one might be a little smushed in there, and would probably go with a yellow tang. They usually will accept less space than a hippo tang will.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a scopus tang and got a copperband and the tang attacked the copperband badly so I traded the copperband .I was told if you go with the hippo body style they might not fight but the yellow/scopus and copperband look too much alike.Also coral bandeds will only coexist if they are a mated pair and will kill other shrimp.I had 2 peppermints and a blood red shrimp that were in my tank for a year and got 2 corals and looked about 4 hrs later and they had my other shrimp in their claws.Then they fought each other about 3 hrs later only to have the victor hide where I could not see or enjoy him(even thou he was a murderin piece of chum).
Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
WOW Ok I think I had a life changing experience. I went to a REAL LFS today and WOAH!! I couldn't believe the selection! They had everything under the sun, and more! I may go back tomorow to buy a PC light I found for only 75 bucks (used, still working great) and to take another look at their fish. I was in awe at their selection of drygoods too!

But anyway, I think I've changed my mind about stocking entirely. I would rather have more small/medium fish than like 4 large fish. Plus I want alot of inverts. They look so cool, I watched shrimp eat stuff for probably 10 minutes.

I was inspired, and my mom was pissed xD. I'll spare the details.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I should also have added copperband also needs a well established tank (just like the mandrins)as they will eat mysis/brine but they also need pods.I have a 75 myself and I have 1 scopus tang,2 ocellaris,2 damsels(1 yellowback 1 yellow tail),3 chromis,2 paj cardinals,1 firefish and 1 scooter blenny and I am pushin the stock limit with a 1 yr 2 mo old tank and in some eyes overstocked.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want my tank to be intresting. Like I'd rather have maybe 2 medium sized fish and a bunch of little-ish ones that are hiding and moving around the rock. Does anyone have any suggestions for fish that would fit that bill?

So far I know I want
2 clowns
2 or 3 chromis
1 coral banded shrimp
1 flame angel (dwarf)
1 sand sifting goby (I think that's what they are called..)

Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

I think thats a good choice of livestock to start out with. The chromis are definitely a good choice to go with because they are beautiful and peacful fish. The clownfish ofcourse lol. On thing though, your tank is going to be FOWLR right? if so then def get the flame angel. If its going to be reef, or reef eventually, i wouldnt suggest the angel, but then again, i've heard people keeping them in the reef tanks with just keeping a cautious eye on them to see if they start nipping corals and such. Severum Mama and HN1 have a half black angel in their reef tank, but i think HN1 said that the angel will go if they ever catch him nipping corals xD

The goby is a good choice too. I know its not guaranteed, but if you get the goby, i would get the pistol shrimp lol. They are cool, and peacful, and wont bother your fish or other inverts. Unless the inverts are small enough to be on their dinner menu lol. Plus IF you get LUCKY, the goby and the pistol might pair up. But its not official though. Definitely go with the coral banded shrimp as well. I love those shrimp, and im definitely getting one as well. You might want to add 2-3 peppermint shrimp in that list as well just so they can keep the tank clean. Or at least try to lol. They are also cool shrimp to watch eat. They also take care of detritus.

Other than that, i think that list is perfect.

As for the small fish that move around alot, the chromis are pretty active swimmers. I know that when they stay in packs they like to roam the tank. So i'd stick with the chromis.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty then! Looks like I have a shopping list for fish! (Now I got to wait for the tank to cycle.. and before that can even happen I have to buy the live rock )

Someday I want to do a reef but not any time soon. (By then, I'll have 3 or 4 SW tanks. LOL)

Tags
75g, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com