Stocking a 75G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think now is a good time to start thinkin 'bout what I'm gonna put in there.

I know I want 2 ocellaris (brothers want them actually) probably 4 or 5 damsels, 2 coral banded or peppermint shrimp, can I put maybe 2 blue hippo tangs in? maybe a copperbanded butterfly? When the tank is more mature I want to get a starfish of some kind and a feather duster or two. I'm totally not sure how much is too much so if I seem like I don't know then its probably because I don't haha. I want to make sure I don't overstock on my first SW tank.

I would skip the damsels. They will be a terror in your tank. Also two hippo tangs will be too much. Maybe one. A yellow or yellow eyed kole tang would be better suited for a 75. IMO the hippo tang is more suseptible to ick than the other two.

I agree with melosu58, two hippos would def be too much, one maybe. As previously stated the blue hippos are more likely to get ick. I have a yellow tang that I love, a kole tang would also be a good pick!

While more susceptible to ich, they're worth the risk, they're beautiful. I do think one might be a little smushed in there, and would probably go with a yellow tang. They usually will accept less space than a hippo tang will.

I have a scopus tang and got a copperband and the tang attacked the copperband badly so I traded the copperband :(.I was told if you go with the hippo body style they might not fight but the yellow/scopus and copperband look too much alike.Also coral bandeds will only coexist if they are a mated pair and will kill other shrimp.I had 2 peppermints and a blood red shrimp that were in my tank for a year and got 2 corals and looked about 4 hrs later and they had my other shrimp in their claws.Then they fought each other about 3 hrs later only to have the victor hide where I could not see or enjoy him(even thou he was a murderin piece of chum).

WOW Ok I think I had a life changing experience. I went to a REAL LFS today and WOAH!! I couldn't believe the selection! They had everything under the sun, and more! I may go back tomorow to buy a PC light I found for only 75 bucks (used, still working great) and to take another look at their fish. I was in awe at their selection of drygoods too!

But anyway, I think I've changed my mind about stocking entirely. I would rather have more small/medium fish than like 4 large fish. Plus I want alot of inverts. They look so cool, I watched shrimp eat stuff for probably 10 minutes.

I was inspired, and my mom was pissed xD. I'll spare the details.

I should also have added copperband also needs a well established tank (just like the mandrins)as they will eat mysis/brine but they also need pods.I have a 75 myself and I have 1 scopus tang,2 ocellaris,2 damsels(1 yellowback 1 yellow tail),3 chromis,2 paj cardinals,1 firefish and 1 scooter blenny and I am pushin the stock limit with a 1 yr 2 mo old tank and in some eyes overstocked.

I want my tank to be intresting. Like I'd rather have maybe 2 medium sized fish and a bunch of little-ish ones that are hiding and moving around the rock. Does anyone have any suggestions for fish that would fit that bill?

So far I know I want
2 clowns
2 or 3 chromis
1 coral banded shrimp
1 flame angel (dwarf)
1 sand sifting goby (I think that's what they are called..)

I think thats a good choice of livestock to start out with. The chromis are definitely a good choice to go with because they are beautiful and peacful fish. The clownfish ofcourse lol. On thing though, your tank is going to be FOWLR right? if so then def get the flame angel. If its going to be reef, or reef eventually, i wouldnt suggest the angel, but then again, i've heard people keeping them in the reef tanks with just keeping a cautious eye on them to see if they start nipping corals and such. Severum Mama and HN1 have a half black angel in their reef tank, but i think HN1 said that the angel will go if they ever catch him nipping corals xD

The goby is a good choice too. I know its not guaranteed, but if you get the goby, i would get the pistol shrimp lol. They are cool, and peacful, and wont bother your fish or other inverts. Unless the inverts are small enough to be on their dinner menu lol. Plus IF you get LUCKY, the goby and the pistol might pair up. But its not official though. Definitely go with the coral banded shrimp as well. I love those shrimp, and im definitely getting one as well. You might want to add 2-3 peppermint shrimp in that list as well just so they can keep the tank clean. Or at least try to lol. They are also cool shrimp to watch eat. They also take care of detritus.

Other than that, i think that list is perfect.

As for the small fish that move around alot, the chromis are pretty active swimmers. I know that when they stay in packs they like to roam the tank. So i'd stick with the chromis.

Alrighty then! Looks like I have a shopping list for fish! (Now I got to wait for the tank to cycle.. and before that can even happen I have to buy the live rock :()

Someday I want to do a reef but not any time soon. (By then, I'll have 3 or 4 SW tanks. LOL)

Nice. Sounds good. Tbh though, i might only put 3 fish in my tank and then populate the rest of the tank with corals and inverts lol. So i guess you can say my tank will be uber-reef

Nice. Sounds good. Tbh though, i might only put 3 fish in my tank and then populate the rest of the tank with corals and inverts lol. So i guess you can say my tank will be uber-reef

(y) can't beat that! I want lots of inverts. I find them interesting lol.

So do i. Always loved crabs and shrimp. Dont really like snails all that much, but they play a good role in the maturity and CUC of a tank, so i dont have much of a choice. I definitely want a Sea Star and a Blue Tuxedo Urchin. Them things are awesome. Gonna wait until i have sufficient algae growth before i get the urchin though. Wouldnt make sense to get one unless i had its natural source of food lol.

Lol yea, I saw this beautiful blue starfish and a serpent star at the LFS, my mom was like "NO SERPENTS!" but it's a starfish..? XD Snails are fin to watch but aren't super awesome. I wish I could get an arrow crab and a coral banded shrimp but they will kill eachother. :(

Yeah indeed they will. I would definitely go with the coral banded though. It looks nice. The arrow crab just looks cool but creepy.

One more question, if I get the flame angel can I get other dwarf angels? (like a total of three max, I want to get a bicolor too if its possible) I like sailfin tangs but I think those would be incompatible with like everything else I've looked at lol!

I could be wrong, but from what i hear its not a good idea to keep two angels int he same tank. They might fight with eachother.

I've heard of a man that successfully kept two angelfishes in the same aquarium for many happy years. It depends (in my opinion) on how big your tank is and what your angle's temperment is like.

I would go with the chromis first and make sure you get an odd number of them as that is the most common advice when it comes to them. Also, (for a sea star if you still plan on getting one) if you are going to have coral, make sure not to get a chocolate chip sea star because they love to munch on coral. If its going to be a FOWLR, get one, they are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom