Stocking: Best Chance for Initial Success ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyJay71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Little leary about this.

Can somebody give me a good stocking list for a 110gal with live rock 80pds?

From what I read I could do 20 - 22 inches of fish?

Here's what seems to be the hardiest for inital stocking:

2 Yellow Tangs
3 Clowns (Don't know which species is best)
1 Dwarf Angel (What would be most hardy starter?)

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with fish.

From what I read I could do 20 - 22 inches of fish?

This will depend on what fish you get.
I am not a tang person, but if you are just starting SW, you might want to stay away from tangs. They tend to be ich magnets, if the water quality is not kept up. I am saying this, bevcause I have read a lot of tang/ich posts. I could be wrong, but depending on what kind of tang, you may want to add them last, since some are agressive.

I had/have the same problem, I still don't know what I want. There are so many possibilities. I would suggest, let your tank cycle and check out various websites like liveaquaria.com, saltwaterfish.com, thatfishplace.com and others, to get an idea of what is out there.

Thanks roka.. I probably will stay away from tangs. What species do you have? What have you had the best luck with, longevity, etc?

I haven't been in the hobby too long. Right now I only have damsels. I just lost my forktail blenny. I was trying to fight algae and reduced feedings to every three days. I think the poor little guy starved. I am planning on removing the damsels and replacing them with others. I would like a goby/pistol shrimp combo. Clown and anemone combo. LOL! So far that is about all I have planned. I'm sure others will pop in and help out!

There are plenty of tangs that are very hardy and aren't ick magnets. First, you'll need to decide if you're only doing fish or going reef at some point. I'd stay away from angels if going reef. Also, you'd need at least another 100lbs of rock if you go reef (and maybe more light too).

In my experience (before I knew better), 3 clowns will be a problem, a male and female will pair up and most likely kill off the third. Unless you're talking about a mated pair of one type - like occelaris or perculas, and then another, maybe yellow striped maroon, skunk, or others. Go for tank raised or bred clowns. More hardy and friendly too IME.

Cycle with shrimp or uncured LR. Look here - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

The consider maybe 3 - 5 blue green chromis. They swim together and are VERY hardy. Then a clown pair. Look at gobies and blennys for more hardy choices also.

Purple, yellow, naso, bristletooth tang varieties, are those I've had, but I'd add the yellow last. They can be mean and territorial when new fish come. Check out my info for what's in my 155g

Thanks austinsdad, the tang's are what I wanted most. I probably will do the mated clowns, tank raised too. Good stuff, you're the man.

Back
Top Bottom