Stocking Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henry405

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has finally finished cycling!

I was planning to do a lionfish, but decided not to so here are the choices:

2 clown
damsel
dwarf angel
bicolor dottyback
royal gramma basslet

any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Not really planning to corals or reefs, but maybe in the future.

I'm just looking for a variety of colors to fill my tank :D

All of these fishes should be compatible when I checked on liveaquaria's chart

Also the order of adding the fishes if possible

I have 4 clowns and a royal gramma. They add some movement to the tank in comparison to my goby and blenny. So if you want some color I'd go with the gramma. They love rock work just so you know.
I also think the angel might be an issue if you ever get corals. And I'd for sure stay away from the damsels. Too agressive lol

Add the damsel last because they can be territorial and same goes for the clowns clowns can be territorial against their own kind so I would buy the pair of clowns first and buy them from the same tank at the store to just make sure they get along trust me I have clownfish in my tank

the bicolor dottyback will more then likely kill the
royal gramma basslet.
Clowns are Damsels so three Damsels would more then likely be to much.

Thank you for everyone's advice so far. I really love the angel so most likely will get it. Corals won't even be a consideration for at least another 4 months and by then, I most likely will have another tank if I need to move fishes around.

Here is the current update on stocks and order of introduction to tank:

2 ocellaris clowns, maybe true percula if I can get a deal
kaudern's cardinal
royal gramma basslet
blue sapphire damsel
flame dwarf angel

If the sapphire damsel is too much in the end, I would prob take him back to the LFS

I would not get the blue damsel and get two or even three kaudern's cardinal fishes instead.

I just got my first fishes: 2 ocellaris clowns :)

At first, the smaller one kept hiding beside my heater, but now hes out swimming like crazy.

Is it normal for clows to just swim up and down and up and down. Hes just all over the place

Also picked up a fire shrimp. He's been cleaning the inlet pipe for my HOB filter, and hes pretty close to the water's edge, is there a chance he'll jump out?

Also got a black damsel in the tank. Was the last fish my neighbor had because he's taking down his tank so I took him also. Hes been in there for about a week and hasn't bothered the clowns for the past 7 hours. They seem to like each other instead!

Pictures below with some FTS.

Attachments

• DSC03203.jpg
    DSC03203.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03200.jpg
    DSC03200.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC03208.jpg
    DSC03208.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC03210.jpg
    DSC03210.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 93
`yeah, clowns swim up and down and all sort of weird things. So your clowns are "Normal".lol

clowns are damselfish also so as the three spot gets older and starts to loose his spots he can become an aggressive adult.

clowns are damselfish also so as the three spot gets older and starts to loose his spots he can become an aggressive adult.

He is right on the money with that. My friend had a domino and got rid if it because it got so aggressive he was getting attacked when he cleaned the tank. It was an only fish.

Trying to stock a tank is a lot harder than people that aren't in the hobby realizes.

I know about the 3 damsels. I'm just keeping it temporary for someone else starting a small tank. It was my neighbor's last fish and my friend liked it, but my friend doesn't have a tank set up yet so I'm keeping it for him until his tank is done cycling

would a red scooter blenny be compatible with the fishes I have considered so far? I've heard that the basslet would fight blennies, but since the scooter blenny mostly stays at the bottom, would this be an issue?

Stock choices so far:

2 ocellaris clowns
kaudern's cardinal
royal gramma basslet
blue sapphire damsel
flame dwarf angel

Only the two clowns and flame angel is a must so far. the rest can be changed

Back
Top Bottom