Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

stocking? Help

I'm am only 2 weeks into cycling a 30 gallon FOWLR (44 Lbs. LR). I am brand new at this saltwater game. I'm looking for a fairly peaceful "begginers" tank to learn the ropes. I know I want a clown fish. Preferably a percula, maybe tomato. Any recommendations regarding a good mate or mates for this fish? (preferably mates) Any recomendations regarding a clean up crew?
Maybe I jumped the gun, racking my brain 8O

Old 08-11-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i would recomend sleeper gobies, a 6 line wrasse, a hawkfish maby, a yellow coris warrse, one dottyback as 2 will fight, green chromis make nice peaceful schools. these are all i can come up with off the top of my head. but i would wait at leaaste another week perferbly two so as to not shock the fish.

Clean up crews being inverts are usually pretty sensative so id defintly wait on those but when your ready i'd suggest, mexican turbos (although big and clumsy they do a good sjob), 40 blue legged hermits 10-20 astreias snails, a sand sifting star, a goby, a fighting conch, and there are more i just am having a brain fart. HTH JC

Old 08-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to wait at least one more week depending on water conditions, thanks.
Sounds like alot though?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldnt do all of them at once just thought you could look at some pics and pick and choose what youd like
Old 08-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I am going to wait at least one more week depending on water conditions, thanks.
Sounds like alot though?
Some intersting suggestions above but some IME should not be placed in a new set up nor one on the smaller side.

The six line and hawk would eliminate the possiblity of keeping decorative shrimp in future but one or the other would be fine for that size tank. The hawk would depend on species as well. I would personally skip the coris wrasse altogether, they are very active swimmers and would suggest a 90g+ tank for them.

The sand sifting gobies as well as the sand star should be avoided in smaller/newer tanks. There is really not enough natural foods for them to thrive and supplimental feedings do not often work well. The star will also not be that forgiving of the unstable nature of a newer tank and could easily do the "meltdown".

I would actually suggest starting with the "crew" first and then once the tank settles down a bit more purchase the clown(s) you desire making sure if two they are the same species. By the time they have been properly >>QT'd<<, the tank will be much safer for the introduction of fish (properly >>acclimated<<) and you can move on to the next addition.

For a 30 gal tank you are looking at about 3-4 small fish depending on size, aggression and feeding behavior. Before any real stocking suggestions can be made accurately you should decide on the clown species first. Many are quite agggressive and will limit your choices.

Good Luck!
Cheers
Steve
Old 08-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ime i have had most if not all of the above listed in a 36 bow reef and never had a problem, only problems ive seen is jumping the gun on inverts. everyone has their own experiances though and you will to. it's a learning process.
jc
Old 08-12-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel the bio-load will be fairly high in my tank. I, like I said, have a 3+ inch DSB, 20 Lbs. live sand, 45 lbs. LR, and have been cycling with a large shrimp, also a 280 gallon per hour emperor 280 filter w/ a bio-wheel. When cycling is done I will add a protein skimmer. hope that helps further.
thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 03:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks xxmoorishmannxx, Steve-s---your insights are contrasting but each is helpful.....thank you both
MT79
Old 08-12-2003, 03:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What sort of starfish would you recommend Steve-S
Old 08-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
steve-s

At this point none, the tank is much too young. After about six months or so the one I would recommend for the purposes of helping keep the sandbed clean would be a black brittle star.

They are great sand cleaners, stay relatively small and are not as menacing as their larger green cousins. I have one in my 27g with two engineering gobies and there is no problem.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com