Stocking help for my 20 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I just finished cycling my 20 gallon FOWLR using the pure ammonia fishless method. Tomorrow I am planning on buying an Ocellaris Clownfish as my first fish. I would like some suggestions on what other fish to buy for the tank. I want 2 more small fish. Maybe a goby but no other species comes to mind. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on buying inverts such as crabs and shrimp later on so hawkfish are out of the question I believe. Thanks

Make sure you do a decent sized partial water change (25%-50%) before you add the clown. My suggestions for gobies are yellow watchman, clown, or neon gobies. Others to look at are jawfish and firefish.

Thom gave some good advice here but jaw fish prefer a deeper sand bed of 3-4 inches deep ....

I would stay away from damsels, they can look pretty sweet but are super aggressive and territorial.
Also, some smaller cardinalfish, firefish, or blennies. Dottybacks might be good too, just make sure you add them last and observe them at your LFS before you buy. Mine have either been nice, awesome fish, or little darts of death.

I would stay away from damsels, they can look pretty sweet but are super aggressive and territorial.
Also, some smaller cardinalfish, firefish, or blennies. Dottybacks might be good too, just make sure you add them last and observe them at your LFS before you buy. Mine have either been nice, awesome fish, or little darts of death.
+ 1 dottybacks can be very agressive and may eat shrimps , they are so so for a reef tho they will leave your corals alone in my experience , they will terrorize shrimps .... :D

I had a sunrise that would just not let me add new fish. He would just beat and nip at new fish, ended up having to catch him and banish him to the fuge. The irony in all of it was that he outlived all but 2 fish down there towards the downfall of my 90.

good learning experience though.

How bout a purple fire fish , ? Cool looking and active jumpers tho and need a covered top of some sort ?

Pix

Jester23, how bout some pix. I'm setting up a 20 FOWLR similar to yours now also and would love to see how you did yours so far. I had jawfish in the past, fascinating fish to watch and play with, but they need a lot of sand and a deep tank. Oh yea in my old 55 tank with the jawfish and clowns I had, they did awesome for years but no matter what I tried I could NEVER keep firefish alive for some reason. Tried 3 times and gave up. Still don't know why. Everything else I had did great. Just sharing my limited experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom