Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, my tank has just finished its 2 month period without fish after the ich deal. While it was depressing to lose what I had, I would say I learned a few things from the experience such as not sticking two tangs (or any tangs for that matter) in a 55 gallon tank!

So I am restocking, I would like to get 5 fish in my tank and here is what I have in mind so far.

- Golden Angelfish
- Scott's Fairy Wrasse
- Firefish (not sure which kind yet)
- Royal Gramma (maybe)
- ??

So here I am looking to you guys for help with that last fish. I would like a fish that is colorful but offers colors to the tank that are different from those the other fish already have.

The royal gramma may be a problem w/ a firefish. Basslets can harass/kill thier own kind as well as similar looking fish.

Agnate80700 said:
a saltwater tank without at least 1 clownfish of some sort? Blasphamy!
agreed! they add SO MUCH to a tank! even if everyone goes "oh another clown" but they have so much personality!

Ok ok I suppose I will toss a percula or o. clown into the tank too. I have two more questions.

1) Someone said they believe the basslet and firefish will fight with each other - does anyone else think that the firefish and the basslet will fight each other?

2) If on top of those 5 I added a sand sifting goby would that be overstocking my tank? I didn't have one before and my sand always looked so so...I would love to have a clean bottom this time around :).

I know from the umpteen different people ive asked about stock levels theres a huge variance in opinion, but I've got a 30 gal tank with a 10 gal sump, and with skimmer + 45lb live rock + plants I my nitrates rise so slow i only need to change water once every month (hopefully never(?) once I get my mangrove trees this week and the current plants grow more)

Thats 5 fish in a 30 gal, and works out to roughly 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons. "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S. Palette says a good rule of thumb is one inch of fish per 2 gallons (pg 89) with live rock. (I know my fish will grow so before anyone jumps on me, im goin 120gal later this year =P) Others will say 1 inch per 5 gallons is too many. From what Ive seem to find its more like... if your fish are constantly pissed at eachother and your not needing to change water every 3 days, your good.

as for the basslet/firefish fighting... they go look pretty close in body shape (and possibly color depending on what you get.) Site ive looked at seem to say the basslet tend to be more pugnacious whereas the firefish are more docile... so it may get picked on, or at least have a hard(er) time feeding. But then again they are smaller (relatively) fish and might be just fine in a 55gal.

(ps the '?' next to the never (above) indicates might not be correct on that heh... detrius for example... but its kinda besides the point anyway)

Fire fish are jumpers so you will need to cover the tank to keep them in. The Royal Gramma can be also as I found out about a week ago when I saw mine dried up on the floor behind the tank. Have you looked at Chromis?

Chromis are jumpers too. I added 3 to my 125 and two have already jumped. I am not sure on the compatability of the RG and firefish.

Back
Top Bottom