Stocking large tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All --

I am currently cycling/setting up a 210 gallon tank (with 300 lbs of rock) and I have a question about stocking.
I'd like to eventually have 3 specific fish: an Emperor Angel, a large tang: clown or achilles, or chocolate and a Flame angel. My LFS rep suggests adding them all at once as juveniles since A) my tank is large B) they tend to be territorial (at least the angels) and this would "grow up together"
He made this suggestion assuming I would do it once the tank is cycled/established. Has anyone else done this? ' any first hand experience with adding these species together?

It has been my experience to add the large angelfish last. Many of the websites also suggest this. I currently have a 180g with a Naso, Powder Blue, Flame Angel and I am adding a Blueface Angel in a couple of weeks.

Naso was first (6 inches),then Flame Angel (2 inches), third was Powder Blue (4-5 inches), and the Blueface is around 5 inches (adult). I wouldn't worry about juvenile or adult. I had a juvenile Emperor that was so territorial that it got stung by the Lionfish I had at the time.

The large angels are a nasty bunch as far as territorial issues go(especially the pomacanthus family IME)..Personally i like getting juvis ,,just to watch them change..
Since your getting an angel you might as well go for triggers too:wink:
I wouldn't be too concerned with the order because it sounds like your going to have an aggressive set up anyway..The Achilles is known to be fairly aggressive too..
I've been able to add fish long after i had angels in ,,but again,i have an aggressive set up also and only added fish that were not considered timid or shy..I remember adding my koran angel a few years ago,,my purple tang darn near tore him up ,but he held his own and they became buds..

Good luck and enjoy stocking that nice big tank

FTMMWS said:
The large angels are a nasty bunch as far as territorial issues go(especially the pomacanthus family IME)..Personally i like getting juvis ,,just to watch them change..
Since your getting an angel you might as well go for triggers too:wink:
I wouldn't be too concerned with the order because it sounds like your going to have an aggressive set up anyway..The Achilles is known to be fairly aggressive too..
I've been able to add fish long after i had angels in ,,but again,i have an aggressive set up also and only added fish that were not considered timid or shy..I remember adding my koran angel a few years ago,,my purple tang darn near tore him up ,but he held his own and they became buds..

Good luck and enjoy stocking that nice big tank

I guess I should have mentioned hat I added a Niger and Pinktail Trigger long before everything else without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom