Stocking my 90 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay…so my tank is very close to completeing it's cycle. I currently have 9 hermit crabs. I would like to start putting my budget in order for stocking the tank. My hope is that I would like to start with 3 or 4 fish and then increase the number as I get much more comfortable with this hobby. Please give me your suggestion.
PS. Every LFS is already telling me to put damsels in to start.

Don't do the damsels, they are always trouble in the end. I would start with 2 fish MAX, and only if they are smaller fish. You need to build up your stock slowly, or you will crash the tank. One fish per month is recommended.

What two would you recommended? I would start with two for this month and in the meantime try to increase my LR lbs.

I am not sure if you have a quarentine tank or not...but if you dont you should get one and start stocking there. I am going through an ICH issue beacuse i didnt quarentine...I rushed after my cycle was done and began to stock..big mistake... now i have to set up a hospital tank and go fishless on my DT for 8 weeks...and cure my 6 fish...

I would begin to to stock slow but in a quarentine tank. I figured I'd chime in because i would do things different if i could start over..just my two cents.

FYI >>I sarted with a clown, then went to two green chromis, then a striped damsel, a coral beauty, and lastly a flame angel.

Hope my bad experience helps...

In general you want to start with the least aggressive fish you want first and put the most aggressive in last. Do you have an idea of what type of tank you want to keep? (predator, reef safe in case you want coral later, any fish that are a must have for you)

I think I will venture into coral later. I don't want to have a 90 gallon tank with filled with only 1-3" fish. However, I don't want a very aggressive tank.

Those are usualy a good start. They are reef safe, not aggressive, and low maintainence fish.

If you are looking for advice on what fish to add in the future it will make things much easier if you come up with a wish list and post it on here. People will then have an easier time giving advice on aggression, compatibility, and all that.

Chromis are a cousin to damsels, they are awesome fish but seem to be 50/50 on the "non aggressive" reputation as they get older. If you get some other larger fish, it shouldn't be a problem. Pat is right about the wish list though, it will save you a headache down the road.

Don't do the damsels, they are always trouble in the end. I would start with 2 fish MAX, and only if they are smaller fish. You need to build up your stock slowly, or you will crash the tank. One fish per month is recommended.
that is good advice.

Here is my current wish list for stocking my tank over the next 3 months.

Chromis (Already have 3)
Bicolor Angelfish
Blue tang
Powder blue tang
ocellaris Clown
Foxface
Midas Blenny
Auriga Butterflyfish

Like these but based on my reading it seems likle they maybe too aggressive for the fish listed above
**Volitan or Russell Lionfish
**Bursa or Niger Triggerfish

Inverts
Camel Shrimp
Chocolate Chip Sea Star

The only problem i see with your list is the tangs. Both of those tangs really need a 6' tank. They both also get stressed easily and pick up Ich.

The lion may eat some of your smaller fish like the chromis or a small clown. It will also take out your camel shrimp for sure. I don't have any experience with the triggerfish but they are aggressive.

If you are interested in a tang, I would suggest a bristletooth tang of any type. Tomini and Kole are probably the most popular.

If you get rid of those two tangs and replace with one smaller one, I think you'll be fine.
Assuming you have a good skimmer, stock slowly, and don't overfeed.

well, i'm with the popular vote that tangs need a lot of swimming room. like jimbo said, i might go with a scopus or kole for a 4' tank.
triggers and volitan get pretty big also. a volitan lion get's about the size of a basketball.
a niger trigger will get to be 1.5' or so.
the auriga butterfly will also outgrow the tank.
if you are planning an upgrade or planning to trade/sell the fish for smaller ones down the road, that's different.
there are aggressive fish that don't require much space at all, if that's what you like.
stonefish, rhinopias, and anglers are awesome fish.

Pair of clowns next IMO. I know you said only one, but after you drop those big tangs, and replace them with only one kole or tomini you'll have room for a pair of clowns. :)

Back
Top Bottom