stocking ratio - 75 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was hoping someone could remind me what the ratio of fish size to gallons is recommended. I've always kept my tank slightly understocked to keep the water healthy, but now I'm considering adding some fish. I thought it was a comparison of surface area of fish to gallons.

That and bio load vs. Filtration/water turnover rate. As well as aggression and individual requirements. Theres been the long standing, "inch a gallon thing" but thats to broad, and doesnt take into account any individual tank or fish info at all. Which varies greatly. Size of tank is a also more important in terms of dimensions, than in gallonage. With all that said aquaadvisor can help but is not law. Also any info on your tank, the inhabitants, and the filtration? All of that will help. Most of us here will gladly help if we can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Currently I have: 1 picasso trigger
1 Blue Tang 2 clownfish 2 firefish and 1 coral beauty

90# live rock 10gal refugium and am in the process of installing a 125 gal protein skimmer.

I've had the tank 10 years and still have the original clownfish.

I'm thinking about adding a lawnmower blenny. I had one once, but he jumped out the tiny section between the tank and lid.

I'd be cautious with that stocking. The larger tangs really need 6 ft long tanks to have the swimming length that they need to be healthy and thrive. Since they can get so easily stressed and sick, it isn't usual to hear of them doing well in less than a 6ft tank.
The same can be said for the picasso trigger. They need a tank double that size to be healthy and thrive.
That said, rather than adding more fish I would be wanting to watch the water parameters and consider the filtration on the tank rather than more bioload.

I think there was a glitch when I hit the reply...sorry if this duplicates

Like I said, I've had them a long time and all are doing well. However, the trigger picks off the cleaning crew one by one and I was thinking I'd go back to having a blenny to help groom the sand and rocks.

If things are all going 100, one doesn't even need a clean up crew. There isn't a need for additional livestock to clean up the tank if one is good enough in their care.
That said, they sure are neat to watch.

with saltwater it's not fish per gallon it depends on what your stock is and how big they get full grown , in my 90g I have 9 fish out of the 9 I have 4 small fish about a inch 4 medium fish about 3 inch 1 large fish about 6 inch these sizes are full grown
it depends on there full grown size aggression and how active they are ,
live aquara is a good place to look for fish as they tell you if they are reef safe how big they get and recommended tank size ,

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

it also depends on if they are top swimmers middle swimmers or bottom swimmers , it also depends on your scape , my 90g is wide open in the center with rock on either end and just a bridge in the center leaving lots of swimming area ,

just a note most of the bigger fish like to rearrange rocks and constantly knock over corals , with a trigger those fire fish will be dinner over time , also not reef safe

with the stock list you posted you are over stocked , that tang will grow out of that tank in no time they require a 6 foot tank or larger , so will the trigger as he will grow up to aprox 10/12 inch
img_3240478_0_ba083551039e697860160e91f1c2bf40.jpg

of coarse all my fish are hiding lol

Of course, lol. I didnt see the reef part of the headline on the mobile app. Sorry

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. I appreciate the input. I didn't realize the trigger would get so large. He's added so much life to the tank that I really like him. The local guy offered to buy him from me, but I will just wait and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom