STOCKINGS SUGGESTIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 30g. with 30.6 LBS of LR (getting more) and i was wondering what would be good fish to get to start out with i was thinking
1 clown
1 damsel (but they are territorial)
1 trigger
and maybe some invertebrates. what are your suggestions?

Skip the damsel and the trigger. Damsel will be territorial and not allow future additions. Trigger is to big for 30g and will eat most inverts.

Check out this site:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

Any 3-5 (maybe 6 if you stay with all smaller variety) of these fish would be good in a 30g. Could even look at a dwarf angel. Not sure what your fishkeeping experience is, but unfortunately in sw a 30g is not really that big and you can quickly become overstocked.

Check the link, the nice thing is you can look at more of a variety. If it were my 30g I would look at:

Pair of o./perc clowns
Green Clown goby
Yellow watchman (sand substrate)
six line wrasse

HTH,

I love my Helfrich's Firefish! While liveaquaria does have them in stock, one in the diver's den for $199.99 and some in general stock for $249.99 if you are interested in one I would keep calling Marine Depot Live, I got mine from them for $119.99 - he is doing great and has excellent coloration!

Here is a link to a picture I uploaded of him:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=22628

I like the pistol shrimps/gobys. I agree with the pair of clowns. The trigger will definitely get too big and the damsel (depending on what kind) tend to become aggressive, as they get older.

FishAddict,

Sadly 30 gallons is very small for a saltwater aquarium. It wont allow a lot of room for larger marine fish or a great deal of marine fish. What I typically recommend for people w/ tanks of this size is to keep them invert heavy. Since shrimp, crabs, anemones, corals - etc do not have near the metabolic rates - a.ka. they dont foul up the water as bad; as fish then having plenty of them in a 30 gallon is an option.

I noticed you placed your question in the FOWLR section of the site, although I would reconsider that. Some people like inverts as much or more then fish anyhow. My recommendation would be this

Add some T-5 light of at least say 90 watts. Get some inexpensive Condy or Hawaii'n Pink Tipped Anemones. You could keep some zoo polyps, soft corals, or star polyps if you want to keep it simple. Then look into Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, various starfish, hermit crabs, etc - etc. As for the fish you can keep I would recommend the following animals:

Purple Firefish
Red Firefish
False Percula or Percula Clownfish
Any of the clown gobies
Six Line Wrasse
Watchman Goby
Neon Cleaner Goby
Swissguard Basslet
Lawnmower Blenny
Bi-Color Blenny
Midas Blenny

Naturally you couldnt house all those fish but rather choose a few from that group to try.

As for inverts I would recommend:

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (2)
Coral Banded Shrimp (1)
Fire Shrimp (1)
Hermit Crabs
Snails
Cory's
Possibly sand sifting star or brittle star

Remember you will need good quality water with low nitrate values and a decent protien skimmer, possibly a CPR BakPak or Aqua C Remora Nano to make a small reef set up like this work.

Back
Top Bottom