Stomatella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjim10_4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm new on here and to saltwater fish
My aquarium has been running for about 3 weeks now. It is a 20G tank, please don't hate on me for this as I don't have room for anything bigger.
Anyway after a couple of days of live rock been in the tank I spotted a stomatella coming out at night, now after a few weeks I'm seeing 2 large ones and loads of little ones. IDK if they were all on live rock when I got it or they are breeding like rabbits. Ive looked them up quite a bit, most people seem to say leave them in there. Most the info is very brief. If any of you have these please let me know what their breeding habits are like. I don't want to take them out as long a they don't get to nuisance levels.
I had a fresh water setup before and had a major snail problem, really don't want a repeat of this.
Thanks in advance

Any further advise would be much appreciated. Lost count at 120 something tonight. These are all very small at the minute but from what I have seen so far, they grow fast! How can I get rid? Please help!!!!

Cut down on feeding, that should curb their population. Try cutting the lights down as well.

I had a bunch and lessening feedings worked for me, though I wasn't trying to kill them

Thanks I will try this. I'm not trying to kill them off, just don't want so many. I'm currently feeding once a day, enough to keep them eating for 2 mins or so. Is this too much?

Brief info on breeding them.
Stomatella snails are easy to breed and will spawn spontaneously if they are kept in a well established marine tank. All Stomatella snails of the same species will spawn at the same time. They usually spawn during the day when they crawl to a high point in the aquarium. They then release egg and milt directly into the water were fertilization takes place. You can sometime see how the water suddenly becomes cloudy in a tank containing Stomatella snails as a result of their spawning. This is nothing to worry about and will clear up relatively quickly. Some fish and filter feeders will eat the milt and eggs. Stomatella snails only very seldom multiply enough to become a nuisance. Established populations can be taxed hard without a lasting impact on the population if you want to sell some of your excess snails.
I would try to sell some back to your lfs for credit!!!

Back
Top Bottom