Striped burr puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigbrother

Aquarium Advice Activist
I traded my porcupine puffer for a striped burr puffer fish he's pretty kool an he seems to be doin good in my tank just want to see if any one else have experience with these fish so I can have alil info my porc puffer was 7 inches long an very healthy the burr is 5 inches hit me up with info plz really cool looking fish

Treat for internal parasites (such as Prazipro or jungle meds). According to 2 puffer hobbyist who owns this species, these fish are prone to worms for the first several months. This is not the case for all burrfish though. I've heard each burrfish require minimum 75g, plus more gallons if other fish are going to live in the tank.

Care is pretty much the same as owning a porcupine.

Yea I have him in a 75 gallon tank seems to be doin pretty good eats fine but swims really slow compare to my porcupine

Give him a few more days to get acquainted with his new home. Does he eat well?

Yea he eat but also eat very slow like I give him frozen craw fish an krill but nibs at it

If it's the burrfish I'm thinking about it's nocturnal and big fin nipper during the night . Got any pics?

So how often should i feed my burr puffer once a day or once every other day wat do I guys recommended

3inches or less - feed 6 days per week
3-5inches - feed 3 times per week
6-8 inches - feed 1-2 times per week

The bigger they get, the less often you feed but the more they will consume per meal.

Ok he's about 3 inches I'd say but like I said eats very slow I feed him krill he chews it up an hardly swallows it an eats very little

My lionfish is 13" and I still feed every day or atleast every other day. I'd say, if you can afford the food costs then go ahead and feed him every day or so.

I think il just feed him 4 days a week but not 4 days straight ukno what I mean it's just so he does make a lot if waste in my water

Also my nitrites are high I used prime conditioner it says it makes nitrites less toxic to fish but in still doin water changes every other day to get them lowered

If your nitrites aren't 0, then you must be battling a cycle. Describe your setup.

Fish can easily be overfed.

I used ammonia to cycle my tank 1 year ago but I guess I was over feeding my fish that why I got high nitrites cause of ammonia but it should go down with a few water changes no biggie

Thanx for that link now I kno not to over feed my puffer an that's it's not easy for them to die from starvation i will only feed him a few time a week thanx lots

Was also think of buying a **** load of ghost shrimp like a an out them in a feeder tank and throw a couple o them in the tank a few times a week so he can hunt them like in the wild that would be cool

Bigbrother said:
Was also think of buying a **** load of ghost shrimp like a an out them in a feeder tank and throw a couple o them in the tank a few times a week so he can hunt them like in the wild that would be cool

I use to do that before for my triggers. It was pretty neat.

So u think if I buy lots of ghost shrim they will survive long enough in salt water to be hunted ?

Back
Top Bottom