Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

striped damsel = the devil

Against my better judgment, I introduced this spawn of satan as a break in fish. Now he is the terror everyone said he would be. The problem is this guy is the carl lewis of speedy fish. I can't catch him! Any suggestions of removing him without having to pull all my rock. Any replys would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had this problem catching a trigger fish. i began to feed him and when he was distracted i got him.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would just keep at it, he should get exhausted before you did. ive also heard of people literally fishing in their own tanks with very small hooks.

and if you have a bit of patience you can train him to eat from your fish net and then when he comes to eat just pull him out
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have one that is 12 yrs old and they can be quite mean. Luckily every one else in my tank is mean. LOL. This might help you to get him out.

Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

12 years! ! Wow. That's a long time. Thanks for the input. Anyone ever made a trap with a 2 liter bottle?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

We did it with a 20 oz to get an Angelicus loach out of our freshwater planted tank. It worked pretty quickly.
redfisher1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I've never used a 2 liter to make a trap but i have used traps before and had a lot of success with them. It just takes a little patience. My LFS has a fish trap that you could rent for a couple dollars a day. I would ask around and see if any of your LFS will offer the same.

When you set the trap put some food in the back and let the fish get comfortable with the trap being in the tank for about 2 hours. You don't have to watch to closely because they most likely will not go in yet. Then get a little more food and make sure you make a trail from the back of the trap to the opening and a little bit just outside the trap. I find the fish are just not quite smart enough to figure out how to get in the traps unless you lead them into it will a trail of bread crumbs.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the 2L traps work great for damsel .. just take the pop bottle cut it where the neck cone stops and the bottle goes to its max size,flip that piece inward and put a piece of shrimp in it.. you will catch the wrong fish a couple times but you will catch that thing
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.Sedore View Post
the 2L traps work great for damsel .. just take the pop bottle cut it where the neck cone stops and the bottle goes to its max size,flip that piece inward and put a piece of shrimp in it.. you will catch the wrong fish a couple times but you will catch that thing
This^

Seen this trick work MANY times. Works on anything that can fit through the bottle really.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i often cut where the cap screws in aswell just for a little more space

Tags
damsel, striped

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com