Strting aquarium what sand to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to salt water, I am starting a tank but don't know what type of sand to use what is the best sand? Live sand? Ocean direct live sand? Or use crush corral? But if I want to eventually put the fish that filters sand thru his gills as he sucks it up, not sure what kind it is just remember seeing it at pet store? But if I want that kind of fish can I use crush coral? Or go with just live sand or do I use non live sand? My tank is 100 gal how much sand do u guys recomend?

I'd go with live sand but if u purchase it dry its cheaper the so called live sands a gimmick imo if yur cycling yur tank it will become live

Really so the dry sand is the same? So I can buy majority of dry sand n add a some "live sand" it will be the same thing as just doin it all live, how much many pounds should I get for a 100gal tank?

I have pool filter sand in both of my saltwater tanks. Very cheap and will turn live as the tank cycles. Best alternative in my opinion. I also have sand sifters in both tanks that love it. Only drawback would be if you dont like the color.

I went with pool filter sand In my tank. It was $10 for 50lbs so pretty cheap compared to all live sand or crushed coral. I have a diamond goby and he sifts with no problem.

Some pool filtration systems use sand for the filtering process. They sell it at all pool supply stores.

joshpwolf said:
I went with pool filter sand In my tank. It was $10 for 50lbs so pretty cheap compared to all live sand or crushed coral. I have a diamond goby and he sifts with no problem.

Sorry, forgot to mention with my pool filter sand I hand to spend some time cleaning it before I put in my tank. I just put some in a bucket.and flowed water through it while stiring it up until the water was clear. U can find it at ur local pool supply store to get a better idea how it looks I will try to remember to post pic for u.

Wow thank you ppl for the helpful advice...

Back
Top Bottom