Struggling with low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superswamper

Aquarium Advice Regular
We currently have a 75 g FOWLR. The pH usually tests out between 8.00 and 8.05. I'd like to see it a little higher.

Water is currently being circulated by an xp2 (~300 gph), and a maxijet 400 (~100 gph). I have two maxijet 900's that will be put into the tank this week. I currently have water for my next water change (in a 20 g trash can) being moved by a maxijet 1200 (~300 gph), and the pH just tested at 8.25. Would increased circulation within the tank help in increasing pH?

Under 'normal' conditions, should pH be constant throughout the day, or should it be lower or higher with the lights off? TIA.

Under 'normal' conditions, should pH be constant throughout the day, or should it be lower or higher with the lights off?

The ph will fluctuate depending on the time of day, it is lower early in the AM before the lights come on and highest and hour or so before the lights go out.

You may simply have a CO2 abundance in the tank or the room the tank is in, try putting a fan blowing across the top, and if weather permits open a window in the room the tank is in, then test.

I would also add that once you get those 2x MJ 900's in the tank you should notice a better ph level. The current XP + the MJ 400 is only giving you about 350ish GPH rotation for the whole tank. With very low circulation usually comes low ph problems. Make sure when you implement the new 900 PH's, that one is definately positioned at/near the surface to briskly aggitate the surface water.

Cheers
Steve

Also, do you have a glass top on that tank? That too will cut down on the gas exchange at the surface.

I do have a glass top on the tank.

I placed one of the maxijets (900) in the tank and noticed a significant amount of agitation at the water surface. I'm planning on placing the next one in tonight. They will both be placed in the back corners, aiming towards the center of the tank. It does seem like a lot of current for my setup, though, but I'll be right around 750 gph.

Is it OK to leave both power heads on during the night? I wasn't planning on getting a wavemaker, but I was wondering if it would be nice to have a weaker current during the night. I didn't know if the higher current would bother the fish at night. Thanks for the help.

I wasn't planning on getting a wavemaker, but I was wondering if it would be nice to have a weaker current during the night.

Yes, leave them on, you will want the added surface agitation for gas exchange at night when O2 levels go down and CO2 levels go up.

Back
Top Bottom