Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been limiting my lights and I think you are right!! I can see it starting to subside so that's cool!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You may want to keep an eye on your shrimp. My old coral banded shrimp did NOT like any other type of shrimp in the tank with him. He would literally rip them apart as soon as he got the chance. And it seems to be a slightly common thing unless your tank is rather large because the can "claim" quite a large area as theirs

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
I've been limiting my lights and I think you are right!! I can see it starting to subside so that's cool!
Hey nikki, would you happen to have a pic of this algae? Any new sand, rock, or sand disturbances lately?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can take one when I get home. I hadn't had any disturbances or new sand until after it started growing. I am slowly removing my old sand at the moment as it has some crushed coral mixed in it (I know...crushed coral is not good for clean up but it's what is old peeps use to use a long time ago! LOL!) and I'm wanting to add corals etc so want everything perfect before hand!

I've noticed that since I've removed a portion of it, and turned my lights on less its starting to subside. In addition, my phosphates are all down if not 0. Not sure if the sand is the issue but it's quite a coincidence! I've read quite a bit on different forums and sites and people's theory of leaving the sand alone doesn't make sense to me. I think you should clean it in sections...even the deep beds! I guess I don't understand why you aren't supposed to. How can it hurt your tank?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I can take one when I get home. I hadn't had any disturbances or new sand until after it started growing. I am slowly removing my old sand at the moment as it has some crushed coral mixed in it (I know...crushed coral is not good for clean up but it's what is old peeps use to use a long time ago! LOL!) and I'm wanting to add corals etc so want everything perfect before hand!

I've noticed that since I've removed a portion of it, and turned my lights on less its starting to subside. In addition, my phosphates are all down if not 0. Not sure if the sand is the issue but it's quite a coincidence! I've read quite a bit on different forums and sites and people's theory of leaving the sand alone doesn't make sense to me. I think you should clean it in sections...even the deep beds! I guess I don't understand why you aren't supposed to. How can it hurt your tank?
I never said it was bad to disturb it. Just getting to the point that if its been disturbed it could have freed up any remaining silicates in the sand bed to be used up by diatoms. So if your in the process of removing substrate then this could explain it.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you clean or replace your sand bed? How deep is it? I've had saltwater fish on and off for years but as I said, I am wanting to add corals once I replace the sand and I've made sure water is stable. I am also about to start building a sump so I need to sort that out before jumping in as well. Little nervous about going REEF! LOL! I'm excited but I've only had anemones in the past. I've never had any corals so any advice is welcomed! My tank is 2 1/2 years old so it's established as far as bacteria goes.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you clean or replace your sand bed? How deep is it? I've had saltwater fish on and off for years but as I said, I am wanting to add corals once I replace the sand and I've made sure water is stable. I am also about to start building a sump so I need to sort that out before jumping in as well. Little nervous about going REEF! LOL! I'm excited but I've only had anemones in the past. I've never had any corals so any advice is welcomed! My tank is 2 1/2 years old so it's established as far as bacteria goes.
I would say your more than ready for corals actually. Especially if you can keep nems, it sounds like your water is in great shape minis the brown algae/diatoms which i would not worry too much about. You have kept the tank running 2.5 years so honestly i think your more than ready for coral. Most are not that difficult to keep and you will find you really have to mess up bad to kill coral most times.

I do clean my sand bed regularly, and it is about 2 inches of mixed size sand grains.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hope you don't mind but I'm picking your brain!

What are good hardy corals to start with? What do you dip them in to kill parasites and do you QT them? I want something that will grow but not over run my tank. I'm also planning on adding a BTA first to see where it settles so it doesn't sting anything. I've always had good luck with anemone but it's been a while since I've had one. I've debated a sump vs. canister and most people with reef systems have told me to go with a sump (friends that have them that is). What do you think?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm wishing I had never gotten rid of the 150 gallon when I moved right now...more space=more cool corals and fish! LOL!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I hope you don't mind but I'm picking your brain!

What are good hardy corals to start with? What do you dip them in to kill parasites and do you QT them? I want something that will grow but not over run my tank. I'm also planning on adding a BTA first to see where it settles so it doesn't sting anything. I've always had good luck with anemone but it's been a while since I've had one. I've debated a sump vs. canister and most people with reef systems have told me to go with a sump (friends that have them that is). What do you think?
I dont mind

Some good hardy corals to start with would include most soft corals. Mushrooms, zoas, xenia, leathers, Ricordia etc. also some lps like frogspawns tend to be pretty hardy also. They can spread rapidly however not hard to cut back the population if you needed to.

Personally i rarely dip corals in anything. From the supplier i purchase from locally i have never had any kind of pest problem related to a coral addition. The only actual coral dip i have on hand is Revive but i use that for mostly fragging corals an i doubt it has any pest ridding capabilities. I cant really recommend much as far as dips as i dont do them.

Absolutely sump over canister. Canisters are a dying breed in the reef tank world. Sumps with skimmers and even refugiums have taken over as the most favorable and easiest method of filtration.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com