Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stupid live rock question...

I have never ordered over the net for LR so sorry if these seems a little stupid... But its a big order and Ive also never added this much LR at once. I am getting 90 lbs from liverocks.com and need to know the best way to throw it in.. I have a 70 gallon with only about 3 lbs of LR. Do I need to acclimate it or just throw it on in. I have two fish so Id like minimize any ammonia spikes... Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated...

Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would cure it in a seperate container. I cured my first few batches for a week or so in a rubbermaid garbage can. My next shipment I added roughtly 30lbs to my 110g thinking it would be ok however amonia spiked pretty high and I removed it to a seperate container for a week or so.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

SO in the other container I need a heater and a pump??? If it is fresh from the Keys, just harvested a few days ago. Would you still worry???
Old 01-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Even with overnight shipping, there will still be some die off. Plus you can never be 100% sure it was just harvested. Adding 90 lbs at once could cause a pretty significant ammonia spike, better to cure it in a rubbermaid tub for a week or so to be sure. Unless there is no livestock in the tank, then toss it right in.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well even though no one is saying what I want to hear.... I did get the message. I will buy the containers tonight & throw them in it first... Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sometimes the truth hurts...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
jackdp
It really is fresh, you can trust us jamal-188 what did you do with the third bath the one that came really next day? Thew others did not come next day and lost life i bet.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Better safe than sorry...

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com