Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muleycrazy
Substrate

Hi! I was wondering if I could get some advice. I am not sure what substrate is best, sand or crushed coral. In both of my tanks I have the crushed coral. I am thinking of changing to sand. How much sand is needed for a 29 gallon and a 200 gallon saltwater tanks? I am new to this and when I put the substrate in my tanks all I had to pick from was crush coral. So how do I transfer this over and will this cause my tanks to recycle. I have expensive fish and I don't want to loose them. My tank levels are great. Look forward to advice and I am sure there will be criticism. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

There's no best substrate. Unless you have a specific need, just stay with what you have

--Adeeb

adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muleycrazy
My 29 gallon tank has had coral substrate for almost a year and my bigger tank since March. I do regular water changes and siphon out the decaying matter. Never had issues. Just curious if I am in the wrong. Thanks so much!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Its all about what you personally like and have available. There are pros and cons to all the substrate choices that are out there. CC while certainly not the most popular of today's choices is perfectly functional provided it is properly maintained, and has the added advantage of of helping to maintain the proper pH. If not properly maintained, it has the ability to become a nitrate trap and cause algae issues.

Sounds like you've got the maintainence figured out.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com