substrate choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe&rae

Aquarium Advice Activist
i am building a 110 high fish only tank! i am wanting to know if crushed coral or a fine grade sand will be better?? what will be easier to maintain and look good!!

Sand by far is the better choice. CC will trap debris and waste in it causing high nitrates in the tank. I personally dont like the fine grade sand. I like the medium particle size. Does not blow around as much.

i got pool filter sand from ace hardware... medium sized grains... only $10 a bag... easy to clean and looks awesome. just food for thought... whilst im a freshy and not a salty... it is nice and i really like it... and it does not blow around at all.

Definately SAND !! gives option for all kindsa critter introduction possibilities...which makes for an extreamely active little environment (when everybody- hermittcrabbs..goby..snails etc- are up and doing their thing(s) ) As M said a medium grain sand won't create any longterm dust storms either and give the kiddies a nice playground.

where can i get a good med grade sand, everything i find is too small!!
and i made the mistake of using a fine grade in my reef and it makes a mess if the water moves wrong!!! and pool filter sand still sees to be to small and none of my local hardware stores have any!!

i have some that is in the bottem of a freshwater tank that i am shutting down do to loss of most of the fish in a recent ice storm how would it effact the cycle time and any other reasons not to use that it is the closest thing that i can find to what im looking for and i cant find it???

I dont know if I would use it again. Not a big fan of reusing sand. I guess if you could get it super clean you might be OK but it will be hard. I always use new sand if I upgrade. You dont have LFS araound. I know Petsmart and Petco have it. JMO

I always choose CaribSea products for my aragonite sand. My personal favorite is Super Reef, but you could create a nice mixture between Fiji Pink and Arag-Alive Bimini Pink. If you are budget-challenged you can go the pool-filter sand route as someone mentioned or playsand.

Back
Top Bottom