Substrate-less tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trackfast

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard of people going with bare bottom tanks. Are there significant advantages or disadvantages? I know one advantage would be easier cleaning but do fish need/prefer some substrate?

most fish don't, except for those that spend most of their time on/in the sand bed. some use it as cover from enemies, some sift it for food. i just like to make my tank appear as close to their natural habitat as possible.

I`m the same way. I know several that have bare bottom tanks but I prefer what nature provides.

I'll third that. I prefer a sand bottom. With a bare bottom setup you need a lot of flow to keep detritus suspended in the water column so it can hit the overflow eventually.

and I'll fourth it. Using aragonite substrate will help keep the ph buffered to an appropriate level.

I know someone with bare bottom. He keeps all the softies/lps at the bottom and only sps on the rocks. Another person I know keeps it bare bottom so that they can hook up their canister (fluval fx5) and siphon all the debris.

Back
Top Bottom