Substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nikki- how does that "select" grade you have compare to the "special" grade?

I used 2 bags of the super fine aragonite-oolite stuff on a 55 a couple of weeks ago.. I spent hours rinsing it, and still never really got it very clear. I ended up buying a 75 and put it in the 75. I needed more sand, but this time I bought 2 bags of live sand and put that on top of the fine stuff. I gave a very light once through rinse on the live sand. The stuff has worked awesome. I will never buy the super fine stuff again. Every time you go to vacuum or move anything in the tank or even fish themselves will stir up nasty thick clouds and really trash your water quality, which can harm or even kill your fish. It will be very difficult to deal with. I would not recommend it.

I can't answer your other questions, but my tank is 2.5 weeks in now, and just with live sand, bio boost and some very very good established Live Rock, I have tested the water every single day and haven't ever detected a trace of ammonia. It's had fish on it for a week.

Ok thanks... I may stay away from the sugar sized stuff... What would be the next size up? I just want to get dry sand, but don't want a huge grain?

Benamayer said:
Nikki- how does that "select" grade you have compare to the "special" grade?

From what I saw, the special grade is much bigger sand particles...bigger than I wanted and I didn't want the color. It's supposed to be engineered for nitrate issues but from what I saw I think they all are right? The best pic up close I could find was this:
www.aquariumproductreviews.com/Arag...a-SeaFloor-Special-Grade-Reef-Sand-p-977.html

As mentioned below with the blowing etc, that's why I went with the 2:1 ratio mixed. I like the look of the sugar but wanted to cut down on any blowing. I have two korilia in my tank now and they set low and it hasn't caused any issues. I still have a half bag of each so if it does I will simply put a thin layer on top since my tank is new and the bed isn't alive yet. I went with around a 2 inch bed this time because its easier for me to clean. My live rock is the base for my biological. Not sure if you knew this but my tank was bare bottom for a few months. Everyone told me not to remove my deep sand bed because I would have issues but I did it and never had even a tiny spike. Don't get me wrong, deep sand beds can and are beneficial however after a few years I find that they can become a source for nitrates regardless of how well you vacuum. Just an opinion.

And I think im gonna do 90 lbs of the Caribsea Select that you mixed, but not gonna get any sugar sized. Do you have any pics of the tank with that in it Nikki??

Benamayer said:
And I think im gonna do 90 lbs of the Caribsea Select that you mixed, but not gonna get any sugar sized. Do you have any pics of the tank with that in it Nikki??

I can take a pic of my tank when I get home from dinner. I'm still working on the aquascape part and I need to even out the sand a little more to see how much I need but absolutely! :)

Ok...this hasn't been spread around evenly but here is what it looks like:

image-550393424.jpg

I basically just dumped it in! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom