Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Substrate questions

I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon from my 55, and need to add some more sand. I currently have 60 lbs of CaribSea live Fiji Pink, and figure anther 60 lbs should be perfect for what I'm doing. In researching, I've seen a lot of different sands and think I have made a decision but needed a few things cleared up. My sand now is .05-.1mm size, and I'm looking at the CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized sand. Ok here's the questions:

Anybody use the sugar size sand and how do you like it? Pros and cons...?

Is this finer than what I have?

What's aragonite actually mean, and what does Oolite mean? Are these different types of sand? Any info to clear this up is great!

When I put new sand in, should I put the new sand in first and the old sand on top, or vice versa?

If I rinse the old sand in the transfer will that kill all the BB in it, or does most of the BB stay in the rocks?

With 60 lbs additional, totaling 120 lbs in a 75, how deep will my sandbed be? I'm aiming for 2.5-3"...

Thanks everyone, always helpful!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon from my 55, and need to add some more sand. I currently have 60 lbs of CaribSea live Fiji Pink, and figure anther 60 lbs should be perfect for what I'm doing. In researching, I've seen a lot of different sands and think I have made a decision but needed a few things cleared up. My sand now is .05-.1mm size, and I'm looking at the CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized sand. Ok here's the questions:

Anybody use the sugar size sand and how do you like it? Pros and cons...?

Is this finer than what I have?

What's aragonite actually mean, and what does Oolite mean? Are these different types of sand? Any info to clear this up is great!

When I put new sand in, should I put the new sand in first and the old sand on top, or vice versa?

If I rinse the old sand in the transfer will that kill all the BB in it, or does most of the BB stay in the rocks?

With 60 lbs additional, totaling 120 lbs in a 75, how deep will my sandbed be? I'm aiming for 2.5-3"...

Thanks everyone, always helpful!
Aragonite is actually calcium carbonate. It's good because it helps keep the pH stable. I'm using it now in my new tank. I like it so far. I had a DEEP sandbed before but this time I'm only going with 2 inches, more live rock, and a sump. It's just easier to clean and I've found my tank is more stable with bare bottom or less sand using more live rock than a deep bed. I've had no nitrate or phosphate issues since.

I wouldn't use the old sand. I would use all new and just seed the new with a cup of your old. It's nice and clean. If you use live sand, there is always some die off in the bag so you will chance having an ammonia spike or mini cycle. Are you cycling this tank or just trying to move everything you have now over?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm just trying to move everything over. How much BB is actually in the sand if any at all? I just don't want an ammonia spike if I use all new sand or rinse the old sand (which I could be completely wrong about happening anyways)... I guess I could just get all dry sand, I'm getting 60 lbs for like $35 through an LFS that always hooks me up, I guess I could just make it an even 120 lbs of new...
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Am I increasing or decreasing chances of an ammonia spike by using new sand? I guess I'll ask it that way lol...
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Am I increasing or decreasing chances of an ammonia spike by using new sand? I guess I'll ask it that way lol...
If its "live sand" you are increasing your chances because there is die off in those bags. Honestly, you don't need the live sand. Buy the dry sand, same bag and rinse it well before you put it in. I had ZERO ammonia spike with my tank move! I expected a small one but I took my old filtration and am using it for a few days more.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Oh ya, and generally the term "oolite" is used for limestone. It's calcite and aragonite.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You want me to post a pic of what I used so you know?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea it's gonna be all dry sand... I'll just get all new, as time goes on I don't like the Fiji Pink too much and wish I went with a finer sand... This is what I'm getting.. CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized. Any thoughts Nikki??
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2653237983.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	121268
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yea it's gonna be all dry sand... I'll just get all new, as time goes on I don't like the Fiji Pink too much and wish I went with a finer sand... This is what I'm getting.. CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized. Any thoughts Nikki??
I mixed two....

Name:	image-2538420393.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	121269

Name:	image-275129750.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	121270

If you don't want super fine then the sugar size isn't what you want. It's VERY fine! That's why I mixed the two.

Name:	image-923083408.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	121271

On the right or depending how this posts is the sugar fine. While it looks normal when its wet it feels like mush. To the left (or bottom...again not sure how it will post to you) is the other. I mixed the larger sized 2:1 ratio.

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com