Suggest Return Pump/Powerheads for Aggressive Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally beginning work on a 125RR in my basement. Plan to plumb through a wall in my finished side, over to a 50g sump/fuge in the unfinished side.

I was running a Mag 9.5 for the past year as a return in my 110 set-up and I wasn't happy with it. Very noisy and ran hot. Still in perfect shape so I could continue to use it since my sump will be in a different room.

1. How much flow should I be returning using only the two 1 1/4" bulkheads as drains?
2. Can someone recommend a return pump for this purpose?
3. Can someone suggest a couple powerheads for a 125 aggressive tank? Was thinking of 2 Hydor Koralia 2's or 3's which would get me 10-15x turnover. I've always believed in good water movement, corals or not - but, I thought I read (although i can't find it now) that porcupine puffers don't like heavy flow. I plan on having a porc, a large angel, an eel, and a trigger of some type.

Any help would be...well....helpful.

I really like Maxi-Jet pumps and have had good luck with them for flow.

I like my Dolphin 7500 pump, but I'm pumping from floor to floor. It is almost totally silent. I always recommend installing a globe valve in case the flow is too much.

Had a Mag 7.5 and 36...hate them both, although I use the 7.5 to mix SW since it heats the water while mixing as good as most heaters. Mag 36 is in the box.

I should have mentioned that I am not a maxijet fan. I was running 4 in the 110 originally and never really liked them. I actually mentioned it in my post but looks like I edited that sentence before I posted accidentally.

The Hydors have a very gentle cone shaped flow, as opposed to the direct flows of the maxi-jets. I really like mine, I have had snails crawl over the intakes and not get stuck or sucked in. For a 125 I would go with the 3's or 4's depending on how much flow you have coming in from your return. I am planning on having my returns come in and near the bottom of the tank, pointing slightly upward to keep the back glass clean.

I have 2 hydor koralia 2's on my 46bow and sometimes i feel like its not enough. With a 125 gallon I would go with the 2 of the koralia 4's And possibly another power head(or your return pump) in the center of the tank. 600gph out of a hydor koralia really feels like 200gph out of a maxi-jet the flow ratings are either decieving or the flow is so wide you cant really feel it as much.

Your overflows and drains are probably rated around 600gph each. I beleive I'm running around 700gph on my return pump. I also have 2 of the Hydor Koralia 3's in my 125. That is almost too much flow for some shrooms and lps. I even had to move my clam a bit to get it out of the flow area.

Back
Top Bottom