Suggestions for a sandcleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just trying to figure out my next purchase for my tank. I am looking for something that will clean the sand...it has all the dead stuff from the live rock and everyweek when I do my PWC I try and pick up as much as I can but there is still a fair bit...does anyone have a suggestion for a tank that will each the debris off the sand and just be a SW garbage can that will be reef safe...I have snails and hermit crabs in there right now and they dont touch any of that stuff..also have 2 conch's in there for the sand but I dont think they eat that either...any suggestions greatly appreciated...

Thanks Grim

I checked your "myinfo" box but you haven't filled it out. Knowing the size of your tank and it's inhabitants would be helpful for suggesting something compatable. A better sand stirrer would probably help. If your tank is 30g or larger, you could try a bullet goby. They are said to be one of the best stand stirrers available.

I agree.
Bullets, Diamond, and Gold Head Sleeper gobies are the best breeds of sand sifters I've ever seen in action.
All of the ones I've had were nonstop workers, constantly gulping at the sandbed.
It's the first thing someone new notices about my tanks.
"Hey! Did you see what that fish is doing?!?" lol

Like Fluff mentioned, they aren't really the right breeds for smaller tanks.
All 3 breeds get quite large, 6"-7", so a 30-55gal tank would be a minimum.

If you get one from the LFS, I'd make sure to pick one that's actively sifting the sand to help make sure that it's happy and healthy.

I totally agree on the Diamondback Goby. I recently picked one up and my sand is pretty much pristine. Its awesome. Plus he is insanely fun to watch.
Haha, he even has some sort of weird relationship going on with one of my perculas. LOL.

I have a 56 gal tank..I have a yellow watchman goby in there but he is doing nothing....looks good though..had to have him because of his color and grumpy look....Can I have 2 in the same tank? I will have to put in my info..sorry...

I only have my goby and2 chromis, some hermit crabs and some snails..

Thanks Grim

melosu58 said:
I agree GR. I have one and they do an excellent job. Usually turning over the sand bed every 2 to 3 days. Here is a pic of mine and a link to purchace one if your LFS cant get you one.

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-2742-10

Yeah but how about the disruption to the live rock? The last thing anyone wants is for the constant sand sifting to allow something to slip!

Maybe I'm being too cautious.

I have not had any thing move in the several yrs I`ve had one. Mine sifts in the open and not under rock. I think you are ok there.

Thank you all again...will have to tell my LFS to bring one in in the near future for me...

Grim

I have two in my 125. I have the bullet and a pink spotted goby. They do OK till they run into each other and then the pink spotted will chase the bullet away and then they forget about each other till the next time they run into each other. You might be OK

melosu58 said:
I have two in my 125. I have the bullet and a pink spotted goby. They do OK till they run into each other and then the pink spotted will chase the bullet away and then they forget about each other till the next time they run into each other. You might be OK
Haha.
That sounds just like my tank.
I've got a Gold Headed Sleeper goby and a Rainfordi goby in my 125, and for the most part they are just fine together, but every now and then the Sleeper will get too close to the Rainfordi, all of a sudden take notice him, and chase him into the rocks.

Try Nassarius snails. Work great and they aren't to expensive.

I agree, nassis are great, so are fighting conchs.
Grim, can you update "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters?

Back
Top Bottom