Suggestions for FOWLR setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

percfan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

I'm going to be setting up a 120g reef tank in about 8months, but in the meantime I'll be setting up a FOWLR tank - probably a 29gal that will eventually become a coral (SPS) propagation tank when the reef is up and running. So I've only done a reef setup before (Berlin method - MHs, DSB, etc) and I wanted some input from the community. :)

Let's just assume 29gal, though since it will prolly eventually be a propagation tank I might go with a 20 long. It will house 2 clownfish and possibly a neon blue goby. Standard 2-3" sand bed with about 30lbs LR. No fancy lighting, prolly just whatever comes with it with the bulbs swapped to 10,000K.

It won't have a skimmer, the 120g will have a big one when it gets setup, but none for now. I know filters are a huge problem for a reef, with nitrates and all, but for a FOWLR could I get away with a decent HOB filter? Or do you think it would need a larger canister filter? I'm kinda hesitant to drop $200+ on a canister for a small tank that will be up less than 12 months. When it's a propagation tank it'll be tied into the plumbing with the reef, but I'll keep the filter devoid of everything else but run GAC in it to soak up the stuff the injured (freshly cut) corals will produce.

So, that's what I'm thinking, any input on my plans? Much appreciated!

I prefer Aquaclear 110's (hob) and should be enough water flow to sustain a soft coral/lps reef along with giving you ample room to put in two 50w heaters and varied chemical media; however, an added powerhead would be needed for sps and especially if using the tank for propagation.

No prob with the hob as James pointed out. PWC's will keep the nitrates below 80 as along as you practive good husbandry (no over feeding, changing media, etc.)

For SPS prop there would def be a PH in addition to the HOB filter and the flow from the main plumbing, but that's all in the future. Gotta get the 120 set up and established before worrying about a frag tank ;)

As for the 110 model, for a FOWLR that's only 29g (since this HOB is only for the FOWLR and will not be used in a reef environment), what's a good turnover per hour for a FOWLR?
I know I can go with a filter that does less and supplement with a PH, but what overall rate am I looking for in a 29g FOWLR?

Thanks! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom