Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suggestions for my second (and final) fish?

I have a 37 gallon FOWLR setup: one false percula clown, one peppermint shrimp, and about 6 hermit crabs. I figure there's only room for one more fish in there.

I was thinking about getting a longnose hawkfish, but it appears the shrimp would not like that.

I would like suggestions for a colorful, small fish, which swims out in the open, and will get along with what's already in the tank. Oh, and not too pricey as well. This is my first marine tank, I will try the more expensive fish later.

I have thought about a magenta dottyback, or a bicolor pseudochromis. Anyone else have ideas?

Old 03-22-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
in my experience, dottybacks usually try to stay protected behind the rock. From what i've seen, i might try a royal gramma, both flashy and not too shy

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I like gobies. Most are small, they can be found in a range of colors and prices. Each one has personality. Check out liveaquaria.com they usually have a lot of different gobies listed with care requirements.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Say packfan2204, I was looking at Jason Chen's AquaReport site and it says royal grammas may attack peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs. How likely is that, what have you observed?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look into the wrass family. Flashers only get about 3 inches and are always out. they are usually in the 25.00 range. Other wrasse may or may not be good choices...just have to look into them.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
that's a good question leafyseadragon, in my experience at the store, we keep royal grammas together with coral banded shrimp and an assortment of crabs, and i've never seen or heard of a problem with them, as far as peppermint shrimps and specifically hermit crabs, i don't want to tell u either way, u may have better luck asking reefrunner or fishfreek, but i would say there shouldn't be a problem

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com