Suggestions on my setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ratstang66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forums and to aquariums.

My current setup is:
60 gal glass tank
rena xp3 canister filter
Aquaclear 110 filter
prizm deluxe protein skimmer
75 lbs of live rock
Standard one bulb flourescent lighting that came with the tank

The current fish I have in the tank are:
2 Percula Clowns
1 Coral Beauty
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Midas Blenny
1 Blue Tang
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Hermit Crab
1 Bulb-Tip Anenome
1 Long Tentacle Anenome
1 General Starfish
1 Choc Chip Starfish
1 Brittle Starfish
A few different type of snails

I feed the fish spirulinas Brine Shrimp/Mysis frozen food mix
I also have shrimp pellets that I drop in for the crab and for the starfish.
I do 10 gallon water changes every 2 weeks

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I have noticed that my general star will sit on top of the anenomies once in a while but so far the anenomies have come out unscathed. There will just be some sticky residue floating around.

*Look above for lighting as I added it*

WELCOME TO AA!!

How long have you had your tank up and running?

roka64 said:
WELCOME TO AA!!

How long have you had your tank up and running?

Like 4 months. All the rock I bought was already cured as my LFS had some rock some one had brought in with a matured tank. (Had coraline algae on it when i bought it)

Hmmm, I'm not trying to talk down to you, but that is a lot of fish to add to a tank, pluse the anenmoes need a mature tank, as weel as with a few of those stars. Do you have a test kit? I would test often and have spare premixed water, in case your parameters go out of whack. Other than that, it sounds like you are doing well. Any chance you can post some pics?

I do have a test kit. My ammonia levels are at 0. Nitrites are 0. Nitrates are around 30-40. My ph stays around 8.2. All of the fish have been in the tank for atleast a month, except for the mandarin goby as I added that last week when i saw pods in my tank.

ratstang66 said:
I do have a test kit. My ammonia levels are at 0. Nitrites are 0. Nitrates are around 30-40. My ph stays around 8.2. All of the fish have been in the tank for atleast a month, except for the mandarin goby as I added that last week when i saw pods in my tank.
Cool, I would work on getting those nitrAtes down, via PWCs. Does the Mandarin eat the other food. They also need a well established tank, with a HUGE pod population. I believe they graze all day on them and can deplete a small population rather quickly. Try soaking your frozen food in garlic extreme and see if he'll eat that. This sets up a feeding frenzy and also boosts their immune systems. Personally, I soak my frozen in zoe/garlic and selcon for added nutrience.

Find a pod supply source online to keep the mandarin alive (I'd give you the one's I used, but they are no longer up -- stopped purchasing pods when I gave away my dragonet). To get the most out of your anemones I'd pick up some more lighting (135w PC or more). I'd also run with consistent PWC over the next few weeks (get the nitrates below 10). Only run the mechanical filtration (canister) unit on the weekends and replace the filters often. The protein skimmer, if operated 100% of the time, can keep a tank of that size sparkling.

Best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom