Sump help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcquez08

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently setting up a 55g saltwater tank. I plan on only having a FOWLR. Ive been looking a lot into making my own sump but I find myself confused with the return pump and overflow. I have also seen a lot of videos on how k make a DIY overflow so I would like to do that as well. Does anyone know the proper size tubing for a overflow and also a partnering GPH flow for the return pump? And lastly what would be a good size sump for my 55g tank? 20g? 10g

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I would drill the tank.
this will work perfect for you and comes with everything including the drill bit-
700 gph Overflow complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

I would use the largest tank you can fit in the allotted space. You stand isn't too wide, so probably a 20 long would be a good fit.
Tubing would depend on the return pump outlet. If i was using that overflow, I would probably go with a Danner Mag Drive 7 or Quiet One 3000.

Empty it. It's a world of difference, believe me. HOB siphon overflows fail. Gravity fed overflows can't fail. Also, siphon overflows must be matched perfectly with the correct gph pump, while gravity fed overflows can use any pump.
I've never built a HOB overflow, because it's just too easy to drill the tank.

Alright thanks so much! And a 700 GPH return pump would be what I would want?

I've got a life reef hob overflow and it doesn't need to be matched the the return pump and rumor has it one hasn't failed ever.

Every siphon overflow needs to be matched to the return pump. Life reef overflows are a standard design everyone before them used. It's not like they made a break through with some revolutionary design.

Last edited:
I run my eheim 1260 at about 75% and it siphons fine and I can run it at 100% and it siphons fine

Running less GPH than what the overflow is designed for will eventually cause you to get air bubbles in the J tube. Little by little you'll see the bubble get larger and larger until it breaks siphon.

Back
Top Bottom