Sump refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month ago I lit my refuge and added the micro algae now im having a diatom bloom. My question is will the diatom bloom hurt the algae if so how should i deal with it?

The whole system is 6 months old. The DT has been lit for 5 months and the sump lit for a month. The bloom was starting to fade in the DT and now started in the sump

Do not put anything in the refugium that eats algae. It defeats the whole purpose. Diatoms, cyano, hair algae...whatever, is fine in the sump.

It is covering it now. I feel that i have a lot of flow through the fuge. An idea of the flow i have. I have a mag 12 return pump running almost wide open with 1" return line and 50" of head height a single 1.5" drain line that is a straight drop to the sump

I would just shake it off of the algae then. If you add something to the sump that eats diatoms, it's also going to eat your algae. You want the algae to grow. More algae= more nutrient export.

Back
Top Bottom