Sump setup ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrouff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently posted a topic regarding my 110 gallon tank near a window. Anyway, I have since read about the usefulness of sumps as a way of minimizing the amount of equipment hanging off the back of the tank....so if I can manage to get some equipment in the stand then I've got the perfect place for my tank. I currently have a Fluval 405, a Biowheel 330, and a Coral life protein skimmer hanging off the back of my tank (pretty unsightly to say the least). I've seen some rough designs for sumps that include the protein skimmer, but does anyone have any ideas for a setup that would incorporate the Fluval and the biowheel? Or should I try to get my money back on the fluval and biowheel and just try to include bioballs with my sump?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

I'm not a fan of bio-balls 'cause they (over time) seem to develop nitrate problems. Rock Rubble instead. Also, I don't know anything about Fluvals. Pretty simple to set up an in-sump or hang over the sump skimmer.

I think if you are going to have the sump u might as well go with the bio balls. Its better bio filtration IMO. I have made two different wet/dry filters with sumps, one for a 75g and one for a 120g. I just bought a glass fishtank that was whatever size i felt i needed and looked at some filter companies websites to see how their sumps were layed out. You can make an almost identical filter to some of the ones sold online for hundreds of dollars for less than 100$. I currently have a 40g breeder under my 120g tank that i made into a sump. It houses everything it needs to and also between 10 to 12 gallons of bioballs or LR rubble.

Then again if u can afford the amount of live rock you'll need its even better because bio balls will result in nitrate problems if not maintained and rinsed.

Why dont you have a refuge/sump down there. I have one that has refuge/bioballs(soon to be LR rubble)/return(holding area for equipement).

Yeah. Sump and fuge all in one.

can't see below, but to the right is the heater, hose that drops top-off fresh water, and return pump. I often get more interested in what's going on down there. I got rock, miracle mud, sand, critters, rouge corals, worms, limpets, macro-algae....

I am not a fan of bioballs either. I recommend replacing them with LR rubble as well. You will need to increase the water level in the sump to ensure that the rubble is completely covered with water. However, bioballs have been used sucessfully for many years in this hobby. With regular rinsing (in the SW taken out at water change time) they will be fine. For me, I do not like the work so I went with LR rubble instead.

Back
Top Bottom