sump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bigger the better... whatever will fit under your cabinet. I would go for a 40gal breeder tank. That would give you plenty of room for a skimmer, room for LR rubble, and a return section for a pump. A 20 Long would be ok too... but far less flexible for future upgrades. I say use the 90 for a sump and get a 200 gal DT :D

This link will show you standard tank sizes... measure your cabinet and get the biggest tank that will fit in it. This link is to melevsreef.com and should give you ideas on how to diy your own sump.

the problem is that you can't fit a 40 breeder in the stand of a 90. the 20 long might work.
any way you can plumb the sump in from somewhere outside the stand, like a near by closet perhaps?

the problem is that you can't fit a 40 breeder in the stand of a 90. the 20 long might work.
any way you can plumb the sump in from somewhere outside the stand, like a near by closet perhaps?

The max size that can fit in my current cabinet is a 30 gal. The only other alternative is to put the sump in the basement. But my office is directly under the room where the DT currently is.

If i put the sump in the basement I will have to get more expensive and powerful equipment to transfer water to/from DT on the 1st floor.

No where on ground floor?,you could setup your sump up in your basement at high level to keep the head as short as poss,maybe about 15-17 feet?.Whatever way if your install under your DT make sure the sump isn't too high to give you problems fitting and removing equipment from it.

i once suspended a 30 gallon tank from the ceiling, just as they suspend industrial A/C units and such. i hung it from the rafters. it was quite easy. maybe that might work for you?

img_1159620_0_3d7f1d5c3fb75ae4237e66684879ddb7.jpg

img_1159620_1_8eccd6f2640a4f1bd2607dcd612e4ca4.jpg

this was a 30 long, and then i went with a 30b...
img_1159620_2_67ba6dcd629eb21defb5b925efa90c6e.jpg

A 30 long (36" long and 12" wide) would fit nicely under there, still leaving a little room for an ATO reservoir and supplies.

Bigger is always, as stated, but anything is better than nothing. My 45 only has a 10 gallon sump becuase that is the biggest I could fit in the stand.

Quick question... for a sump are you looking for lenght over height or does it matter? Like a 20 tall instead of a 20 long?

I'm wondering because many people may have room to go higher but not longer. Then again, I've only done FW and never had a sump.

Go as big as you can in all directions, but be aware that there are height restrictions. Being able to maintain your sump properly (including getting your arm, skimmer, and pumps in and out) is vital. I can tell you from experience it is no fun to work with a sump that someone did not take this into account when they constructed it.

Not sure I want to move the office. If I put this sump in the basement, I will have to put holes in the floor for the supply and retun hose. In addition, I am retricting myself to only using that one spot on the 1st floor for a DT. I would prefer to have the sump under the DT.

Back
Top Bottom